Friday, December 08, 2006

A day in Paradise

Yesterday I worked from 9.30 until 5.00 in the quilt store. It was super fun and the morning was quite busy. I have only really filled in before, never worked a whole day from start to finish, so by the end of the day I felt worn out. I haven't really worked since I was expecting Cameron, so I've really got out of the zone. My hat is off to those ladies that run a family and head out to work each day too, you must have amazing energy!

As the afternoon was quiet, I was able to do quite a bit of my own work. I managed to finish the first sock!

Here you see it modelled somewhat by me ... who knew how hard it would be to take a picture of yourself wearing a sock, you almost have to turn yourself inside out! Hubby was investigating this wool so carefully the other day, he just couldn't understand how the wool knew to change colour every two rows ... and I must say, it's a mystery to me too, as I used a different brand pattern to the wool!

... and then modelled by Cameron with his darling little legs! The sock is not perfect, but it was a wonderful learning experience, socks that are in my future will be much better now that I know what I'm up against. I know that when I'm ready to knit some socks for Cameron, they will knit up so much quicker than mine, and I'm really looking forward to it. On the other hand, they will have a much shorter life-span, as he is growing soooo fast!

Here is a picture of the little pile of blocks I was able to also put together while at the store. They are for a 'bar runner' for our friends to go in their Christmas gift. I had the pieces all cut out and in a baggie ready to piece. I didn't manage to sew the binding down on the mug mat I showed you the other day, so I completed that yesterday too.

Lastly in the picture is the Yarn Harlot's book ... okay, so maybe that was me at the book shop the other day ... They told me it would take up to a month to come in ... Well now, I thought a month would look a little more like a month than say ... three days! Well done to Angus & Robertson for getting it in so fast!

8 comments:

Joyce said...

The sock is cute. Well done!

Jenni said...

Great sock - how does the wool know? I saw you in the Australian P & Q the other day... very nice quilt.

Hanne said...

Socks do not have to be perfect you know :-) They are always perfect for warming feet. Warm feet, warm heart ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great looking sock! I'm jealous of your new book. I haven't seen it in the book stores here yet.

Melanie said...

Love the sock!!! Sounds like you've been busy.

Darcie said...

Quilt shop working is exhausting...but oh-so fun at the same time, right!

Lovely sock...on both models! And I love the quilt that Cameron's leg is resting upon!

Unknown said...

Hurray for a finished sock! I struggled so with my first pair--could not make heads or tails out of the instructions. It felt like a real accomplishment to finally work it all out.

Shelina said...

That is amazing with the sock. You must have made just the right size for it to change colors so evenly. I've seen socks with variegated yarns before, and the color change looks much more random than that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails