Friday, March 11, 2022

Whew - I need a nap!

This week has not been a great one for spending time at the sewing machine, but it has been a wonderful week for spending time with little Mary, I babysat the little honey four times! She is a darling, but goodness I am wiped out, little people require energy that I just don't seem to have any more. I'm sure it will get easier though - she will grow, and I will get used to it again!

So I have no quilty goodness to share, but I did make one small thing this week:


I had been dying to get back to making the clothes for Mary's dolly - when I'm done I can finally hand her over to Mary, so in stolen moments I put the shorts together from the pattern. They were really easy, and they're so cute. There is a top and a cardie from this pattern to go before I gift them. And then at leisure I'll make the clothing items and little suitcase from the other patterns I purchased. Go check out RicRacSew's items on Etsy, she's a darling person and super talented too!

The lovely ceramic bowl is now spending time on my Kitchenaid mixer:


And I used it this week when I had a quick practice making Mary's birthday cake for this weekend:


I wanted to see how long I needed to bake her cake - I'm making a Dolly Varden cake and because of the much deeper pan I was nervous about not getting the cake cooked properly. Turns out I need an hour and 15 minutes. I also did a quick test of a new to me icing recipe, so I did a quick coat. Obviously not smoothed or anything, but I wanted to see what the texture was like. Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it - it's not quite as sweet and a little lighter than regular buttercream frosting.

I've made the cake today, and I'll be icing it tonight, wish me luck that it all goes well people! And for the cake, my Mum found a pretty cake stand to put it on, I'm just thrilled:


Also new to me this past week were some lovely Wedgwood Frog plates given to me by one of my Mum's friends:


They're ever so cute, and I've never seen anything like them before.

I'm looking through the photos I've taken recently, and it looks like that's all I have to share with you this week. Mary's birthday party is this weekend, so once that lovely celebration has passed, I should have a little more time for stitching to share with you. Have a great week xox

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Your doll and her clothes are adorable. Such wonderful fabric choices.
Love the ceramic bowl, with its spout, for your KitchenAid.
The Wedgewood plates are beautiful but why are they called Wedgewood Frog plates?
I hope your cake turns out just as you hope it will!

Janet said...

Little Mary is going to love the doll and clothing. Can't wait to see the rest.
I really like the ceramic bowl. My mixer lifts so probably wouldn't work.
Beautiful cake stand. Is that candlewick?
I love toile, frogs and all.
Have fun celebrating and I am sure the cake is going to be perfect and delicious.

Barwitzki said...

Many greetings to you and much joy on Mary's birthday. The cake looks amazing and I can't wait to see how you decorate it.
If you visit my blog, you can see my sewn shirt... my spring dream. Today I started with a pair of pants for me... I'm excited.
Yesterday I helped with the school action for the Ukrainian refugees... Putin's war is fertile.
So look at the spring shirt... it's fitting for a birthday party... Hug.

Kyle said...

Enjoy every moment. Little ones grow up so fast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails