Friday, March 25, 2022

Stitching time aplenty!

This week I've been super happy with what I was able to achieve in the sewing room, I finished two little projects, and started a surprise project!

First up, I completed the March mini quilt challenge, which is hosted by Wendy Caton Reed. It's such a fun challenge to work on - it's a great way to try a new technique, and in this case I sampled a project I'd like to make larger later on:

This little quilt is approx 16" square, the applique blocks are from Jo Morton's Little Favourites III, and then I just put it together how I wanted from there. 

This is the light fabric I used in the half square triangles (one of the many fabrics gifted by Pam Holland) - I think it came out in the late 90's? I definitely used some fabrics from this collection in my Dear Jane quilt back in the day.

Be sure to visit Wendy's blog at the end of the month for links to the other participants in the monthly mini quilt challenge. A big thank you to Wendy for hosting!

Last week I shared that I'd cut out the pieces for a mmmCrafts Elf ornament. Well, I finished that too!


I am in love with this little guy! This afternoon I'll start working on his sweet elf girlfriend, and over time I'll make some more - a set for little Mary and other family members, and then I'll get busy on other patterns in the series. I did make one change from the original pattern - I decided not to add the pointy elf ears - I don't have any cardstock that would be suitable (and can't head out to buy anything) and I thought they looked a touch spock-esque anyway.

The surprise project I mentioned is Moda Blockheads 4. I saw a few people working on their first blocks, and on impulse decided I wanted in!


This is my version of block 1. I decided I'd once again like to dig in to the lovely fabrics Pam Holland gave me last year, so my block is made from a selection of delightfully aged reproduction prints. The only exceptions are the tiny pink square and the spotted background fabric which came from my scrap drawers.

If you'd like to join in or investigate the project, the Moda Blockheads blog has all the information and links, and Kansas Troubles Quilters who designed block 1 have lots of details on putting the block together. Enjoy!

And the last picture for the day is some more happy mail that I received during the week:


Di Ford-Hall's daughter and sister have been selling fabric here and there on Instagram, and when this lovely yardage came up I was sold. I can imagine so many lovely borders, fussy cut projects and more with it. And they added a little extra treat too which was so kind.

Isolating this past week meant I had plenty of sewing time, and I still have some more days to go, so I wonder what else I'll be able to achieve. My kitchen refresh was meant to start on Monday just gone, so that has been postponed after waiting quite a while - hopefully I'll have something to share on that score soon also.

If you're still reading along - I wanted to mention that I've been reading a few new to me quilting blogs. Time is often a factor getting as much reading/commenting done as I'd like, and a lot of blogs I read in the past have dropped away. So that I can see blog updates, I've started adding blogs here and there on a blogroll in my sidebar (which is new for me) so if you'd like to have your blog added, please mention your blog in a comment. I also use bloglovin, but I've added the blogroll so others can see updates too.

Anyway, chatter next week, and thank you for stopping by! xox

10 comments:

Chris said...

I love reading your blog and seeing the gorgeous things you create. I blog at Quilting at the Farm in Canada and would be delighted to have my blog on your sidebar. Thank you for offering.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

OH, that is a marvelous mini!! You are so clever with your sashings! I love the sashing on the one you made me. Simply delicious! The elf came out beautifully. I have to agree about the ears. I do love Mr. Spock, but not as a Christmas elf! You had a very productive and pleasurable week indeed! Thanks for another super mini.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that little Elf! if you are isolated you must have been exposed to Covid hope you are well and you and your family won't be sick

Quilting Babcia said...

I love love love this mini! Beautiful tiny details! Your elf is perfect just the way he is, no ears needed.

Cathy said...

I love your March Mini. You always have some really beautiful projects. Hugs

Janet O. said...

Your mini is gorgeous! That is a beautiful fabric. Love it!
That elf is so stinkin' cute! Love all the little details.
I have seen a few people doing Blockheads. Back when they had the first one I thought I would join in. Never got a single block made, so I haven't even pretended that I would do any of the others. I recognize some of the fabrics in your block. Very well done! :)

Kyle said...

Love, ❤️ your March mini. The colors and the appliques are perfect. The Smithsonian fabrics were wonderful. In fact, I have a few showing up in my March mini as well!.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Any fabric of Di Fords is a keeper! I love your new 'small' quilt! You can enter mine - doitrightquilter.com. Thx and keep on making those pretty quilts. Hugs

Chookyblue...... said...

That's a lovely mini

Nancy said...

Your miniature blocks are a pattern I've oohed and aahed about since I first saw it a dozen years ago. Perhaps one of these years I'll make a quilt with it. Your quilt is beautiful. The fabrics and colors are delightful. Did the tiny blocks finish quickly or were they more of a challenge because they were so small?

What a sweet elf. I would have omitted the pointed ears, too.

I thought about doing Blockheads 4 but having just finished a sampler-style quilt, I wasn't sure I wanted to do another so soon. But I'm saving the patterns, anyway, in case I change my mind. (And I'm trying to talk myself out of Barbara Brackman's Southern Spin and Freedom's Friends.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails