Monday, January 19, 2015

Holiday Fun

First up, I wanted to share a quick picture of my Montmellick project - this is where it's at, and I've also unfurled a little more of that border print:

Even though I'm not entirely sure I love the background colour of the border with my quilt, I think I'll use it anyway - it's kind of growing on me!

I received a lovely comment from Lorraine after my last post - I wasn't able to reply to her directly as her email address isn't enabled, but she asked if this was the Di Ford Montmellick mystery. Yes! This is my version of that project. I elected not to purchase the kits that were available as I have a mighty stash, and I'm trying really hard to make a dent in it. Thank you for your kind words :-)

You can also see in the picture that I've gotten a few more of the little stars appliquéd in place. I was able to get some more done on Saturday while I visited with my sweet friends Roz and Dawn, and made a new friend Yvonne too. Thank you for having us all Roz! xoxox

So, what else have I been doing over the past week??

Well, on Tuesday my Mum and I went to the tennis. My sweet friend Claire gave me some tickets, and we had the very best night. Here in Adelaide, the games are fun, not really competitve, but we were able to see some current players and some names from the past too:

Here Marcos Baghdatis and Mikhail Youzhny have just taken to the court. Baghdatis won this game two sets to one, And afterward, Michael Chang and Goran Ivanisevic played a fun game, followed by doubles with all four players. A great night, thank you Clare.

And afterward while walking back to our car park, I snapped this pic while we wandered over the new footbridge:

Adelaide looks really pretty at night :-)

I've gotten a little stitching done too. Early in the week I put this block together:



I found this tutorial online at the blog of The Crafty Quilter. I thought it'd be the perfect thing. I really wanted to use up a teeny piece of fabric I'd found at Hettie's Patch in their scrap basket. It was that sweet Christmasy print in the large triangles there. Isn't it darling? I actually had to deviate from the pattern a little so I'd have enough fabric - for those flying geese units I used my EZ Angle and Companion Angle. No way I'd have been able to do the flippy corners method, but it worked out just fine.

And as a little treat to go with the block, I used up the last log cabin block from an 'orphan block' runner I made a little while back:

And I turned it into a coaster. You can see it's really quite small. The logs are 1/2" wide - so fun :-)

Last of all, yesterday I put together a couple more spiderweb placemats. I'll be visiting with a friend of mine later in the week and I'm pretty sure I haven't given her any quilty treats:

In this picture you can see how I've used up lots of little pieces of batting. I use spray baste on the backing and abut all kinds of little pieces of batting, then spray baste once again and lay the mat on top. Makes it super easy to quilt, and it feels very virtuous using up all those little bits and bobs. My friend is a real girly-girl, so I hope she likes the fabrics I've chosen. To be honest, I can't even believe they were in my stash in the first place!!

So that's how my week has gone - It's so hard to believe that Camo will be back at school at the start of Feb - these Christmas Holidays have gone soooo fast!! xox

5 comments:

keryn said...

I loved watching Michael Chang back when he was competing. I do like watching tennis, should make the effort to go.
Good work on getting those projects moving along, it's a good feeling to pick up the pace after the Christmas break.

Judy Dietrich said...

I really like the border fabric for a few good reasons. It is a large print, which echoes the Broderie perse in the center. Most of the pieces are small in the top, so the large print makes it interesting. Major element of design to use different sizes for balance. It also pulls the pinks all the way through the top. Just my opinions--take it for what it is!!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh, I'm glad you are sticking to that border print. I think the top is just asking for it. So beautiful! You do such lovely work.

Nancy said...

Ooooh, lots of quilty goodness in this post! Nicely done.

pandchintz said...

Your Montmellick is gorgeous! Love the border print with it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails