Monday, April 08, 2013

Rail Fence Variation blocks

I've had a number of emails asking for size and cutting information for the Rail Fence blocks that my friends and I exchanged last year, so I thought I'd share the details with you all.


The red block in the centre is a 1.5" square (finishing at 1").
For either side, cut two 1.5" x 3.5" rectangles (finished size 1" x 3")
The six remaining strips, cut three pairs of 1.5" x 7.5" rectangles (finished size 1" x 7")

Our quilts have 99 blocks in them, eleven rows of nine blocks. Please don't ask for fabric requirements ... I used up scraps, so I have no clue!

When we constructed our blocks, we actually made the strips a little longer so that we were able to trim the blocks back to be neater. One thing you will have to be very careful with, is using a scant seam allowance. It is SUPER EASY to have these blocks come out a little narrow by using an inaccurate seam allowance. Do a test block first, you won't regret it.

Here is where we were got our inspiration. I'm so thrilled that we participated in the exchange - it has made our quilts all the more scrappy, thank you Linda and Donna! :-)

Now for something entirely different ... I had a question a little while back from Nomaiaci Kamakura. I wanted to reply via email, but the address is set to no-reply. Nomaiaci asked if I had any advice regarding the Mrs Billings Coverlet project as they have recently purchased the pattern. I sure do! Be super accurate with your cutting and your seam allowances. When you're putting so many pieces together, it's critical to have everything finish at the right size, or the next borders just aren't going to fit. Also, when you've cut out your pieces, take the time to mark the registration dots on the reverse side of your fabric shapes. These dots give you clues about where the pieces fit together, and where your seams need to hit to get everything lined up nicely. Do these things, and exercise patience, and you'll have a masterpiece before you know it. Hope this helps!

Well, I'm off do do laundry, and clean the laundry room ... how fun ... NOT! Chatter soon :-)

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for the dimensions.

Shay said...

Uh oh ...now I think Im going to have to put one of these on my list of quilts to make.

Unknown said...

Its a great pattern to make, and I love the Jelly Rolls... So many happy colours to choose from :))

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh thanks! I really like these!

Jan said...

I saw your block photo on Pinterest this morning and it reminded me of a project I started several years ago. When we moved, I put the blocks in a box and forgot about them. Now, reading your post, I see that my project was the inspiration for your exchange! :-) So now you are prompting me to pull it out again. Thank you! lol
By the way, your collection of blocks is quite lovely!

Julierose said...

I just love these blocks--I hope to try them as QAYG ones--we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the tute hugs, Julierose

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails