Monday, April 22, 2013

Pottering along :-)

I'm quilting away in stolen moments, and having fun with this little project. Something I haven't done in a long time is trapunto work. There are so many different ways to do this, but I'm using a technique which is traditional, and also called cording.

A while back I purchased some balls of trapunto wool from Hettie's Patch, and I've been putting them into use. You work from the reverse side of the quilt, using a trapunto needle, thread a short length of the wool. Gently tease apart some of the threads making up the fabric, and pass a length of wool into the area you want to emphasise. Tease apart the threads in  the area you want the needle to come out again, and carefully pull the needle through.

You do need to be careful not to break any of the threads in the fabric and make holes. If you work carefully, you'll be able to tease the little gaps closed again, and once I've washed this project, you shouldn't be able to see any evidence on the reverse side.

I've only done about a third of the swirly sections with the trapunto, and though it's hard to photograph, you can see some of the areas are raised. It should be much more apparent after I've taken the quilting out of the hoop, and when the blue lines are washed out. The narrow circle outlining the design has also been done, and it's much easier to see there.

Lizzy has loaded Mrs Billings and she's due back to me any time now, so I probably won't get too much further on this little quilt. I'm so looking forward to quilting on Mrs Billings, I really can't wait! xox

7 comments:

Sheila said...

looking lovely, thats how i learned trapunto in the dim dark ages. Its very effective. I am going to keep my eyes open for one of these its a great way to practice hand quilting.

Laura in IA said...

Your hand quilting is absolutely beautiful. Good luck with Mrs. Billings. I think you are ready.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Fantastic!! Oh you are making me drool with that trapunto!!! Your stitches are great and even. It's coming along just beautifully. :)

My name is Riet said...

That is looking great but must be a lot of work.

Missy Shay said...

I have never heard of this technique before, I can't wit to see it finished.

Shay said...

Gorgeous. I had no idea you could do trapunto this way.

pandchintz said...

Your quilting is beautiful - keep pottering on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails