Sunday, January 13, 2013

ADD Piecing

Today has been cool and rainy - the perfect weather to stay in and piece. I've been wanting to work on the occasional something - just to break up the endless sameness of this Mrs Billings Border. I found this little block pattern and templates that I picked up in November from Somerset Patchwork & Quilting.

But did I have the perfect fabrics to go along with it? I thought it would be fun to use some of my dear friend Donna's scraps. Whenever I visit with Donna in the USA, she always manages to secret some of her scraps into my luggage. It's really the funniest joke that we share. I keep her fabric all together in a container, it's precious to me!

 The fabric is precious, but imagine how wonderful a quilt from the fabric would be?

The little pattern comes with a cute selection of fabrics and laser cut templates. Aren't they all just darling?
:-)

I put one block together, and it's really sweet. Sadly though, it hasn't come out at the exact right size. It needs to be 4" finished, and it's around 3 3/4" finished. I've had a look at the templates, and it's my fault. The diamond shape is directional, so I'll have to take care with cutting and pay careful attention when piecing, and then it should all work out fine. You can see a little fullness in the middle where it's pulling.

LeMoyne Star

It's really cute though, and I can see more of them in my future. And then it was back to working on the Mrs Billings border. This is tricky chain piecing, I have to start and finish in between the seam dots - once this part is done, then I have to come back and insert triangles between all those points.

It's coming along well, and I can't wait to attach these kite shapes to the body of the quilt. Alrighty - I'm off to check on the oven ... dessert is cooking, and it smells yummy!

2 comments:

Pam said...

It good to hear it is a little cooler there for you. We have been hearing about temperatures there in the mid 40's. I can't imagine how that would feel.

That is a cute little star block but it sounds like it is going to be very fiddly

Shay said...

Just looking at those Mrs. Billings bits made me break out in a sweat . I could never ever get those to match up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails