Friday, April 29, 2022

Oooops!

I nearly forgot it was Friday today - it's only 9.30pm, but I was buzzing around in the sewing room - not making plans for a blog post - and suddenly I realised that I needed to get busy on the computer.

Though it wasn't completed this week, I have this month's mini quilt to share. A big thank you to Wendy Caton Reed for hosting this fun project - click over to her blog to see the other participants for the month.


The applique in the centre is from Sue Garman's Afternoon Delight quilt, and after that I was just winging it. I was happy to find the red stripe fat quarter I could use in the border, it's thrilling to me to use things up right now, especially things that have been sitting around for a while. I had fun with the quilting, but I still need to be braver. Baby steps I guess?

And for things I've worked on this week, I did end up making the 9" version of last week's Moda Blockheads 4 block:

I haven't made this week's block yet, hopefully that will be a project for the weekend. But I did enjoy the churn dash block so much that I tested it in another colourway with a view to making a larger quilt:

Yummy fabric! I only have enough of the teal print to make sixteen blocks, so this project is destined to be a cute lap quilt for winter. This is where I'm at so far:

The pink sashing fabric was used as the border in my Farmers Wife quilt back in the day, and this quilt should use up the last of it. It's so much fun to remember past quilts when I'm working on scrappy quilts.

I'll get a bunch more piecing done tonight while I wait for a phone call - I dropped Camo off at a friend's party with a promise he could call me to pick him up later, and I don't mind how late! I definitely don't want him drink driving so I'm always happy when he asks for help. How is it that my little baby is turning 20 soon? It seems like yesterday that he was this tiny little guy scooting around the house! Time flies!

Well, that has been my week from a quilting perspective. On the home front I've also been doing a little sorting and clearing out this past week. I haven't discussed it on my blog, but around the same time as my FIL passed away, my Nanna was getting to a stage where she couldn't live independently in her unit anymore and was moving into the nursing home which is part of the facility she lives in. Though I haven't been doing nearly as much sorting/clearing/cleaning as my Mum, that was something we finalised this week. It is amazing how much a person accumulates in a life, and as a result when I came home I cast a different eye over the house and our posessions. I've resolved to send a bag of items each week to the op-shop - it will be difficult, but I'm hoping really freeing also.

Alrighty, that's enough from me for this evening, I hope you've all had a great week, and I will chatter with you again next week! xox

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I thought I recognized thee applique from the Afternoon Delight quilt - I have the pattern but have never made it - I was going to start it two years ago and made a couple of the patchwork and there it sits in the box waiting or me to get back to it.

Robin said...

Your mini is so nice! You do lovely work. Going through things is hard, especially when there is sentimental value to them.

Janet O. said...

A beautiful mini! Your quilting looks great to me, and I especially like your use of that serpentine print on the inner border--perfect placement.
Oh, churn dash is one of my most favorite blocks. Your lap quilt is beautiful, with the soft colored sashing and the stars as cornerstones. And that teal stripe with the small floral sprays is really sweet.

Kyle said...

I love everything about you mini, the color, the applique center and all those adorable borders. Brillant! It is overwhelming to looking at the things we accumulated over time. Every once in awhile I get motivated and do some purging. Every little bit helps. Good luck 👍

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Your mini is beautiful and some of my favorite colors. Of course I also am a churn dash lover! Nice to use up those scraps. My "do away with" drawer of scraps from quilt projects is getting full again. Hugs. Sorry to hear about your Nanna, getting old is no fun as we all love life and do not want to give up our independence.

Janet said...

Love the way you used the fabrics for your borders, adds so much to the mini.
Churn dash is outstanding.
As always thank you for sharing. Enjoy your weekend.

Pam said...

I love your quilt.
I realised recently that I couldn't possibly finish all the projects that I have kits/patterns/books for.
I was home at Easter and packed up 5 boxes to bring back and sort. Some things were donated and I listed some things to sell on market place for the first time. Things have been selling like hotcakes. I will look i the cupboards again next time I am home.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Absolutely fabulous mini!! I love your "border magic". Sue Garman would love how you finished this one! It really sings. Thanks for another great mini.

pandchintz said...

Great “winging” for the rest of your mini! Looks lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails