Saturday, May 08, 2010

Starstruck by Kaffe

One of the amazing things that Linda organised for us to do while we were in Paducah was to attend a lecture on the Wednesday. It was an evening with Kaffe Fassett.

Wow! There simply aren't words. Well ... there are actually :-) Amazing, colour rich, stunning! I have to admit, while in the past I had an appreciation for his work - I didn't actually own any of his fabric, or have an inclination to stitch up any of his designs. But after his lecture, I have a new appreciation for the incredible way his mind works. His view of the world and the way he sees colour is simply mind blowing, and I simply cannot wait to begin playing with his gorgeous fabric (I may or may not have purchased quite a bit!).

The next day, Kate and I virtually raced to get a copy of his latest book, and were just thrilled to have it signed. I was almost starstruck meeting him, and didn't think of getting a picture at the time, but looked back afterward, and got a picture of him knitting away.

And here is a picture of one of his quilts in the exhibition adjacent to where he was signing. I think it may be one of my favourites. In the past I may have considered the colours a little jarring, but I'm definitely viewing his work with new eyes.

Such an unforgettable experience!

9 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I'll probably never make one of his quilts and I find the fabric busy but I cant resist buying his books. Even though the quilts aren't ones I'd make, I think they're interesting and vibrant.

Vickie said...

oh wow way way kewl..I just today got one of his book-maybe be a couple years old..just posted about it on my blog..his work is busy but I belive can be doen other ways with diff fabric,cheers Vickie
lucky lucky you

ForestJane said...

If the man's into such bold, vibrant colors, why is he wearing that muddy, brown drab stripey shirt and knitting with what looks like beige yarn? :D

Barbara said...

I like his quilts when done by other people but for some reason I can't buy the fabric or make his quilts myself - perhaps I'm afraid of colour or the clashes. I love the individual fabrics, though. Very envious of the lecture!

quiltmom anna said...

Tazzie,
I have only recently bought some of Kaffe fabrics- I do love all the vibrant color that he uses but like others, found some of his quilts rather busy. I am not sure what changed my mind. His fabrics are not readily available here in Canada, and those that are, are quite expensive ( about 19 dollars a meter) I found some on line from the States and from a Toronto store that were significantly less than that ( less than half price) I still haven't what I am going to do with them. I recently bought his newest book also.
The thing about quilt photos is that they often do not do the pieces justice. Not able to capture the richness of the colors.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience.
Regards,
Anna

quiltmom anna said...

Tazzie,
What I meant to say was that I haven't quite decided how I am going to use my Kaffe fabrics in a quilt. I still looking for the right pattern.
Regards,
Anna

Pam said...

I think that would have been my favourite part of the trip as well. I love all of his fabrics and I have a small stash I take out and stroke every so often!

Great picture of him sitting there knitting :))

julieQ said...

I have always admired the saturated colors in his work...and only have a few prints that are definitely his. I am so glad you got to meet him...I think that the knitting picture is wonderful!

Linda said...

Hi Tazzie- looks like we had a good time! My favorite thing about Kaffe's lecture was I realized he is a traditional quilter and he made me feel good that I am one too. &:-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails