Friday, February 18, 2022

Today was a Kaffe kind of day ...

This has been a challenging week, so I was super happy to complete the quilting on the mini quilt top I made last week. I'm so pleased with how it looks now!


I started out doing some ditch stitching with the walking foot, which is something I rarely do, and I just didn't like how it was coming along. However when I went back and added more free motion quilting I started to fall back in love with it.


 See if you can tell where I ran out of thread:


Playing thread roulette seems to happen a lot with me! And I don't really mind when there are funny little things like mismatched threads in a project, it's all part of the story of the quilt. So now I've finished my first little quilt for Wendy's Monthly Mini challenge, yay!

Recently one of the Mum's of a school friend of Camo got in touch on behalf of Cranio Facial Australia regarding a need for quilts/blankets and comfort items for children undergoing surgery. I passed the information to our guild, and also chatted to my quilting ladies about what we could do. This week two beautiful friends Jean and Pam had brought in some fabric that was surplus to their needs, and I decided to get busy cutting so we can make up some quilts from the beautiful fabrics.

Today I started with the fabric Jean donated - a gorgeous pile of Kaffe Fasset loveliness!


So the photo is quite deceptive - it doesn't really illustrate well how much fabric is actually there - and on the right there are some of the I-spy fabrics that Pam donated.

Look at these lovelies that were hidden in the pile, just gorgeous!


It took me most of the day today, but I'm so happy that I managed to get all the Kaffe fabric cut into 2.5in, 3.5in and 4.5in squares. I have a plan for putting some cute scrappy quilts together.


When I was done I just felt like I needed to sit at the sewing maching for a few minutes, so I enjoyed a little time stitching some pairs together - this will be fairly mindless sewing, and sometimes that's just what's needed:


Thank you for sticking with me if you've read this far. I wanted to say thank you for the messages of support that lovely readers and friends have sent over recent weeks. My father in law passed away last wekeend, he had been in hospital for about a month after having collapsed at home. This has been and will continue to be a hard time for my husband and his siblings, and it's not at all easy to see them going through it. So thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot.

On that note, I'll sign off here with a promise to check in soon. Big love and hugs xox

7 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your father in law. I am sending hugs your way. Your mini quilt is sensational. Absolutely stunning. And, I love little quirks in quilts, like running out of thread and making do with something on hand. No one would have noticed it you hadn't pointed it out. What a great haul of Kaffe fabrics. These quilts will be so appreciated. I'm bad about posting some of the charity quilts I do because I don't feel they are all that interesting, but you have made me realize it is good to spread the word and perhaps encourage others to join in the efforts. Thanks for the inspiration!

mereth said...

So sorry to her about Marty's dad, it's a hard time to go through.
I love your little quilt and the Kaffes will be interesting to work with. I don't have any in my stash but they are gorgeous. I'm interested to see what you do with them.

Pam said...

Sincere condolences on the passing of your father-in-law.
Your little quilt is lovely. I am the opposite to you, love the walking foot, FMQ is my last resort

Janet said...

My condolences on the loss of your father-in-law. Losing a parent/s is one of the hardest things in my life. As the song words go "Not day goes that I don't think of you". As I have said before you are amazing, always busy doing something for some one else. You are a very special person. As always thank you for taking me on your journey, through the happy and sad. Take care.

QuiltGranma said...

Love your brown and pink stripy, great fabrics!

Janet O. said...

Absolutely love your little quilt. The fabrics, color palette, and design all come together so beautifully! It is so classic.

Jean McGee said...

That's a lot of cutting Tara, I'm glad the fabric will be put to good use and give comfort to others. 😍😍

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails