Friday, December 17, 2021

Holidays ...

It's official, I'm now on holidays - for the next five weeks all my regular weekly activities are on hold. It will be nice to have some sleep-ins and time to work on projects in a casual way. I even managed to get all our Christmas shopping finished today - all that remains now is to get groceries closer to the big day - and that is a huge relief. Shopping malls get crazy at this time of year and to be honest, I would like to minimise my time spent in crowded places.

Because all the 'must do' quilting is also done, I was able to put a couple of the Free Block Friday blocks together. I had fallen a few blocks behind ...

This is block 9 - I'm super happy with it.

This is block 8 - I'm not as thrilled with it, as my fabric selections are too blendy. If I make another with similar fabrics I'll be able to put them on opposite sides of the quilt and then they won't look out of place. I didn't have my mind on the job when I was stitching this block last night, and I had to unpick several seams before I finally finished it up.

I have two more blocks to make, and then I'll be all caught up ... until tonight's block comes out :-)

There were also adventures in baking this week, it was Amy's birthday:

Doesn't everyone love a three layer vanilla and strawberry with white chocolate cake? Yum!

And then for the last Thursday quilting gathering for the year:

Vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting - topped with Maltesers. Also yum!

My next baking adventure will be the gingerbread house I hope. I just don't seem to have been able to get into the spirit so far this year - but I know if I just break out the tools I'll be inspired. I'm sure you'll see the end results in my next post.

In other news, a little fabric came into my life this week:

The two fabrics on the left are ones that I'll use with 30's prints - whether it be with the Free Block Friday project or with the Farm Girl Vintage blocks I'd like to make sometime. And the fabric on the right is just something I decided to grab as I always love to use plaids for bindings. I have so many now that I'm never likely to run out - but who wants to take the chance? Haha!

And the last photo of the day is a book I saw and knew I'd love:

The projects are really charming, and it fits right in with my love of making scrappy vintage style quilts. I really do have a quilting 'type' don't I?

So, that has been my week - how has your week been? I'll love to hear from you, and chatter soon! xox

2 comments:

Pam said...

Lovely cake making.
I got to drive a 9 hour round trip and listen to DGS play in a concert band. It may be the last time I hear him play in person as he and his family move back to the USA mid next year. I also watched DGD play netball and caught up with a special friend on the drive home. A busy but lovely 2 days

Janet said...

Mouth watering desserts again. Wow. Your Friday blocks are looking great. isn't it fun to just pick up fabric because you can?
Enjoy your time and look forward to seeing what you are working.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails