Friday, October 29, 2021

Not much more than last week ...

This week there has not been much to report on the quilting front. I'm plugging away at the mats, and I've made the second Marti Michell 'Free Block Friday' block - so I guess I haven't been idle!

These Marti Michell blocks are really quite fun, and the templates make construction so easy. It's a wonder I don't use them more often. It's easy to get into habits and stick with favourite techniques. The white background fabric is very unforgiving, so next time I'll try and remember to have a light background that won't show through when I take photos.

And here's where I'm currently at with the mats:

I'm all done with the fabric I'm not crazy about - just some of the red and white fabrics with the stars left, and I think I'll give those away. Going forward I'll use the more traditional fabrics like the ones I used in the top two mats in the picture.

I also finally got the binding stitched on the reverse side of the little placemat top right in the picture. It had been sitting around waiting for a few minutes of attention.

After I'm done with my computer work tonight I'm going to begin baking a cake for my little brother's birthday tomorrow. I'm going to attempt this one: Anna Olson Chocolate Layer Cake. I'm sure it'll be great, I trust her recipes ... but I don't trust myself to remember to take a picture. Let's see how I go!

That's it from me for today, hopefully I'll be able to come up with a more newsy post really soon! xox

3 comments:

Pam said...

Godd progress on the mats. The cake recipe sounds delicious

Janet said...

Seeing your 30s fabric blocks makes me want to dive into using mine and this is a perfect time. You are doing great on the Christmas mats. Such dedication. Good luck on the cake and enjoy. Happy birthday to your brother.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I guess I should have joined in with Marti, maybe next time. I like your blocks and small quilts! Hugs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails