Friday, July 28, 2023

A busy week with not much to show for it ...

I thought I would have so much more time to spend in the sewing room this week, but it hasn't really worked out that way. I've ended up doing a bunch of chores - sorting things out in the sewing room, and rearranging some things in the kitchen - and with sewing starting again this week, time has just flashed by.

This is the only Morrell quilt block I put together:

Another block using the County Clare panel by Karen Styles. Also a cute little background print from one her scrap bags - the red fabric from stash, possibly purchased from Karen too! I'm going to make one of the diamond star blocks next, and after that I'm going to force myself to work on some more broderie perse. It's only since I used that fraying fabric in the middle block that I've been leery of broderie perse - I had a wonderful experience with it while I was working on Mountmellick!

On Tuesday afternoon I started a very new to me project, and I have no idea how it's going to go. I'm taking baby steps into the world of sourdough starters:

I've had a few friends inspire me to give this a go, so I'm three days in and very unsure of what I'm doing or taking on, but I'm finding lots of resources online to help me out. Quite some time ago I received a Goldfields San Francisco sourdough starter package from my lovely friend Linda in the USA, and that's what I've used to get this going. I'm getting a few bubbles forming, and I'm learning that it could take a a little time to get anything worthy of baking with. I'm patient, and I'm ready to learn. Please pop me a comment if you have any interesting tips to send my way.

Last of all, Rowley is becoming less and less timid each week and we're able to take him for better walks. It's a lovely time of year, so I snapped a few pictures last weekend:


This weekend is going to be a busy one - we're having new carpet installed in our bedroom, so I'll be cleaning everything out of the bedroom and walk-in-robe ready for Monday. This will give me the perfect opportunity to cull a lot of items we just don't need, it will be very freeing!

It's only 10.30 here, but I'm flagging already, so I think I'll have an early night so I can rise tomorrow bright eyed and bushy tailed ready for chores. Chatter soon!

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Another beautiful block! Your Morrell quilt tis going to be so pretty, happy stitching!

kiwikid said...

That is a beautiful block! Good to read Rowley is being walked now, hope you all enjoy that. Good luck with the sour dough, not been tried by me!

Janet said...

The block is beautiful. The panel works so well. You have a lovely stash of fabrics.
Wonderful that Rowley is walking well. It took a good year and half for Winston to decide I am the boss. Ha. Ha.
It has been years since I made sourdough starter I wished I remembered how but I don't. I am hooked on a cast iron crusty bread recipe. I make and bake it every other weekend. I baked it this morning before W and my walk. Look forward to how it works out. Hope you are having a great Monday.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh that block is stunning! One of my quilt entries in our show last week was called "sourdough" because it was made form dozens of orphan blocks which seem to multiply when I am not looking. I'm afraid that is close as I will get to making any sourdough. My Mum was a super baker, but somehow that gene escaped me. Enjoy the bread!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails