Friday, June 16, 2023

Almost finished with the centre block

I  have one image only for you this week. I've been fiddling away with the centre block of the Morrell quilt, and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.

I've fussed a lot over details that won't matter to anyone else. The gold paisley print in the outside ring of the block was in my scrap drawer, and I had just enough to eke out the pieces I needed. It's a little bit directional, and I was hoping to have the paisley print always facing in the same direction, but I didn't have quite enough fabric, and had to alternate them. Will anyone but me notice? Probably not. And I realised that the background fabric is directional too, so the bottom of the block is on the left of the photo. Which made me want to take the little flower in the centre off and rotate it slightly, I know it's OCD, but I don't want to have to regret later on that I didn't do it. 

So now you know how OCD I can sometimes be, but not always - thank goodness. It can be paralysing!

I'm in two minds about what I'd like to work on tonight after I shut off the laptop. I'm really keen to foundation piece the triangle outside border of this block, and make some decisions about the applique for the corners. Or I might like to print out some Solvy sheets and work on some mmmCrafts projects to get a head start for the end of the year. I suspect that the foundation piecing will win out, I've hardly used my sewing machine since we've been back from our holiday, and I really miss using it.

In other Morrell quilt news, I'm probably going to upset some of the purists that have worked on this project. I'm fairly certain I will change the layout of the quilt, and maybe make up a couple of the blocks differently. From a layout perspective, I want to give my quilt a little more symmetry, and the blocks I make differently will depend on how that all comes together. I've made no big decisions, and I promise to keep you posted as I go. I hope you've all had a great week, this week has flashed by here, I can't believe we're almost done with Friday already! Chatter soon lovelies!

Ohhh, and quick edit - I've had a hard time commenting on some blogs lately, I haven't paid good attention, but have some changes to blog settings been made recently?

8 comments:

Chris said...

I love that you have the freedom to change up the blocks and layout. That is totally against the OCD thing isn't it? Your center bock looks great. I started my center a few years ago and did not like how it was going so put it in the box. I may pull it out again this summer or maybe even start all over again on it. I am looking forward to pulling out and playing with some of the fancy dancy fabrics I bought in Australia in April and getting some of the Broderie Perse blocks prepped.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the block and I think we can make changes to any quilt pattern that we want to - it makes it more ours in the end. It is very hard to leave comments on some blogs now things seemed to have a changed a couple months ago in that regard.

Nancy said...

Beautiful block, Tazzie! You're right, I don't notice the directional aspects of the fabrics but, like you, I would have noticed if I'd been making the block and would had done as you did. Yes, paralyzing for sure sometimes!

Jeanette said...

Beautiful block. I didn't notice a thing about your prints. All i see is a beautiful block.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I think all your changes will be as perfect as the rest of the blocks. You are an amazingly talented quilter! I did have to laugh when you talked about your OCD. That is one condition that I will never be accused of. Even though I like things "my way", I'm usually in the "oh just let it go" category! Have a super day!

Janet said...

The center block is beautiful. All the fabrics give it character.
Can't wait to see what's next.
As always thank you for taking me on your journey.

kiwikid said...

Another beautiful block, I think you make the quilt as you want it to be.

Kyle said...

It's your beautiful quilt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails