Friday, December 30, 2022

Whoops!

OMG, I almost forgot to check in and post today - we're in that period between Christmas and New Year where time seems to be at a standstill. I seldom know what day it is, and if I'm honest, I tend to get a little nocturnal. This is such an easy time, what luxury it would be to live like this always :-)

But I have still been getting a few things done:

I did finish the gingerbread snowglobe cookies I mentioned in last week's post. I always have such lofty ambitions when I'm inspired by creations on Pinterest. While these are nowhere near as professional looking as those I saw, I'm pretty happy with them. And the kids ate them all on the big day - Camo told me he had three all by himself! I'd like to try some different styles when I have the chance, so I've pinned some more inspiration photos.

In stolen moments I've been putting a few stitches here and there in Lily Rosenberry. I am absolutely loving hand quilting again - if only there were a few more hours in each day to devote to it!

Before Christmas I made these ornaments for little Mary, but obviously couldn't share them until after she had received them. They're the Partridge in a Pear Tree ornament set from the mmmCrafts Twelve Days ornaments series. I am addicted! I'll keep working thru the ornaments and others to build up her own ornament collection as she grows.

And as further proof of my addiction - this week I made more ornaments from the same series. I haven't handed them over yet, but soon. I don't think the recipient is a blog reader, but you never know, so I won't be naming any names. Though I'd like to keep working on these ornaments, I have other things that need my attention - a wedding quilt, and two baby quilts for babies that are arriving in the first half of this year - Sew Much Fun!

Today Marty and I took a little road trip to Mannum - we have spent a lot of time there over the years as it's where my Grandparents lived and my Mum grew up, and other family members still live in the vicinity. We wanted to take the opportunity to visit with Puppa in the cemetary, and take a careful look at the river flooding that is happening. So many of our friends that have river homes along the River Murray have been inundated which is so terribly sad, along with so many other people in so many other towns along the river, the destruction is devastating.

This picture is hard to make sense of, but it's of the Mary Ann Reserve on River Lane - it it weren't for the levee, this whole area would be inundated now. All the businesses on the river side of the main street are closed.

And this picture probably also doesn't make much sense without something to compare it to, but in the foreground is the main road to Purnong, it's under water now, and on the other side of the river, the road from the ferry is is inundated too. I don't know if it's going to get worse or better going forward, but my thoughts are with all the folks in the river communities as they work through this and then rebuild.

Tomorrow evening is New Years Eve, we're looking forward to spending a lovely evening with friends, I'll spend the day getting ready, and then relax for a lovely evening. I hope you're all able to spend some time ringing in the new year with people you love, and if a quiet night is more your style, I hope you have a lovely time doing that too. Remember it's said that whatever you do on New Years Day you'll spend the rest of the year doing. So choose wisely my friends, and let's make 2023 a wonderful year! xoxox

7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

such adorable cookies! and oh those 12 days ornaments...i get more and more tempted each time i see them...soo cute and wonderful heirlooms...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the ornaments and those cookies - so cute and to be eaten so quickly glad you got the photo first! Flooding is always so devastating and yet interesting to see photos of where it happens - we are not in a flood plain being up on a ridge but the near by town down in the valley is and flooding happens almost every year!

Janet said...

The snow globe cookies are so cute and they do look delicious.
The ornaments are beautiful. What a wonderful treasure Mary will have from her grandmother.
I really like the way you are quilting Lily. I am so sorry to hear about the flooding. Just devastating.
Have a safe and Happy New Year.

loulee said...

Your gingerbread cookies are amazing, and don't get me started on the house you made this year!!!
Love your ornaments, what a lovely idea to stitch some each year so that she has her own full set once she is grown.
The flooding making it's way down stream is awful, so much damage happening and still more to come.

Kyle said...

Your cookies are awesome. I thought at first they were ornaments too. Sorry about all the flooding. Hopefully, the worst us over. Enjoy your new year's celebration. Hmmm? What should I be doing?😃

Nancy said...

Oh, Tazzie, your cookies and your ornaments look amazing! The cookies look too beautiful to eat. What a treasure the ornaments will be to your granddaughter.
Your stitches on Lily are so perfect. She is gorgeous!
It seems like no matter where you look in the world there is some environmental challenge. Flooding would be an awful ordeal to handle and live through. So very sad for the people who live in the area.
Happy New Year to you!

kiwikid said...

Your cookies and ornaments are beautiful. You are very clever. Very sad to see all the flooding.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails