Saturday, June 28, 2014

I'm really hooked!

I can't even tell you how excited I am to be finally getting along with my sewing machine. I was looking forward to playing with it today, and I haven't felt that way for a little while. I wonder if some of my piecing slump is related to my machine and I not entirely getting along so far? Anyway, looks like all is forgiven :-)

Do you have an abundance of scraps? I really do, and here you see my leftover 10in square tub, and my 2in strip tub.

Because I usually bind my quilts with 2in strips, I end up with a huge amount of scraps in that tub. This project requires a small amount of 2in scraps (they can be used for the shoo fly HST's with the use of an easy angle ruler) and the light squares are 2in cut - but mainly it uses 1in strips. I've never collected 1in strips, so to reduce the huge amount of fabric in the 2in tub I decided to start cutting them in half. It's likely I could construct most of the quilt from this tub!!

And here is a selection of the components I've already started piecing - they're waiting to be made into nine patches/four patches and other assorted bits and pieces ...

I'm trying to get as much variety into each block as I can, so I like to be able to choose little strip sets that don't contain fabrics already used in a block - but it's early days and I haven't done a huge amount of cutting, so it's not always possible ...

And here are the first six blocks that I've made. I'm really excited how it's coming together. It amuses me that some of the fabrics stand out so much more than the others - like that cheddar there - it really pops doesn't it? I'm not going to start sewing blocks together until I have a whole lot more made, so even though you see the same fabric repeated many times in these six blocks, hopefully the fabrics will be spread out in the final quilt top.

In stolen moments I've also been appliquéing on the Montmellick project - I'm still loving it so much. I'm working on the second of the four borders. I don't mind if I get a little behind, it looks like the next border will be much easier, so I'll be able to catch up in the next two months.

Well, that's it from me, I'll be back with more blocks soon, I'm sure :-)

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is looking great - I'm still on the fence about making this quilt - maybe/maybe not in the meantime I am making a postage stamp quilt with 2 inch finished size blocks

Unknown said...

I ordered the pattern as soon as I saw your start, Tazzie! Sue says it's addictive - but then so did you...

Nancy said...

Hurrah, that you and the machine have become friends again. The blocks and components do look great together. Nice job!

Rosa said...

Pretty nice and have fun playing with them!!

ruthsplace said...

It's looking fabulous. Glad to hear you are enjoying your machine more.

Missy Shay said...

When my machine was acting up I did not want to sew either, so I totally understand that!

Quilter Kathy said...

Isn't it so fun!?!? I am working on one too and just love the cuteness!

Shay said...

So happy you and your machine have decided to play nice. It makes all the difference to one's motivation to sew.

I love what you're doing from your scrap bins Taz. It's gorgeous. Wait until you see what I've been up to this weekend. (I'll show you Saturday!)

Sue said...

Love it Tazzie. I might have to buy the pattern and make it after Mrs. B! I have plenty of fabrics haha!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails