Saturday, March 21, 2009

Purple Stars - now known as Dogtooth Violets :-)

The quilting on my 'Dogtooth Violet' quilt is finished, and the binding applied. It's all done. I'll be writing the directions this weekend and making up the 'in progress' pieces in readiness for the mail on Monday.

In the picture, I've folded the quilt so you can see the binding and backing fabrics I used. I had originally planned to use a purple print I purchased recently for the back - but when I went to the closet, the funky paisley fabric was calling to me - so I answered it's call.

I quite like it :-) It probably doesn't fit the era, but I think it works anyway. Isn't it funny how our tastes in fabric change over time - I'm sure a few years ago I would have walked right past that fabric - and now there are other fabrics in my own stash that make me wonder 'what was I thinking?'

There are already ideas forming in my mind about my next scrap quilt, but first I have another top to quilt, and then another after that. How wonderful it is to have my hobby as work, and my work as a hobby :-)

Be sure to have a great weekend.

12 comments:

Mahmood Syedfaheem said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jan Gartlan said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Well done.

Kristie said...

The quilt turned out very beautiful! I love the fabrics that you used in it.
Kristie

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Tazzie,
This quilt is just beautiful. You are amazing to do such wonderful quilting with your regular sewing machine. I hate squeezing the quilt under the arm of the machine...you are a master!!
~Karen~

Teresa said...

This is a wonderful quilt block pattern and you have done so good in your fabric selections and piecing. I am inspired to see you using your regular sewing machine for your quilting. I do that as well, but am still struggling with getting the tension right and having nice even stitches. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your work in process - they give me hope for mine!

Karen said...

You did a great job! I think the paisley backing is perfect. Your work is an inspiration to all. Happy Quilting!

YankeeQuilter said...

I go through style changes in fabric and house-decor about every five years...my current phase includes reds and purples! So of course I love your quilt! (by the way I had to save huge patches of wild violets from my DH and his weeder today!)

sewprimitive karen said...

Gorgeous color combinations and the paisley backing is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Love the finished quilt.
There are no quilt police, the backing is perfect !

Dee in Oz

Quilts And Pieces said...

Is this one going in AU P&Q? I LOVE it!!!!

quiltmom anna said...

HI Tazzie,
I love paisley fabric - I have loved it forever it seems- it is one of the things I have always enjoyed about Jinny Beyer fabrics-
Your quilt is gorgeous- it has an elegant and classic feel.
I know that my tastes have changed and so has my quilting- in some ways it has got bolder and braver.
Thanks for sharing your lovely work.
Regards,
Anna

*karendianne. said...

Gosh Tazzie, you know I love this even more now that we're at the point of finish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails