Friday, February 13, 2015

Today I Passata'd and Scrapped too :-)

It's possible that Friday is one of my favourite days of the week - I usually get to spend a fair amount of time in the sewing room, and generally I don't have tiny person commitments - so after school is much more slow paced.

Today I started another French General scrap reduction project. I can't believe how much of this fabric I still have ... is it reproducing? What on earth is happening in my sewing room??

Anyways, here's where I'm at ...

It's the second project I'm refreshing from an old favourite :-) my Dresden Topper. In addition to the FG fabrics, I threw a few red and cream beauties from other collections - I'd used them in recent projects, and they seemed to get along with their neighbours.

Getting back to the scraps - it just blows me away how much can be created from the scraps that you really want to use up - but when you have some yardage, it never seems to be quite enough for the special project you want to use it in. Hmmm ... the ponderings of a quilter ...

I didn't get too much done though, because earlier in the day I got busy picking tomatoes in the garden, so many have become ripe all at once:

And so I got busy making passata again. The small jars in front are about a pint in size, and the ones at the back are a litre, which is (I think) a scootch more than a pint and a half.

Last night I used one of the jars I made the other day to make pasta for the boys. Marty declared it excellent, so I'm super happy. I hadn't tried the recipe before - and if you'd like to have a go, I pinned the recipe here. There are still a bazillion more tomatoes in various stages of ripeness on the bushes, so there will be more of this in my future - and I'm sure we'll be grateful for it later in the year.

Before I dash back to the sewing machine, I just wanted to say a big HI to a couple of commenters I haven't been able to respond to due to email addresses being unavailable: Wendy Phelps, Wendy Caton Reed and Sjoukje. I loved hearing from you, thank you for stopping by!

I'll get busy sewing now. I'm hoping to finish up all the blades of the topper, and then I'm going to pull fabrics for a cute project I designed during the week. Super fun!! xox

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Aren't the FG fabrics the best! I love the colors that blend so well together.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Glad I read your post today! I thought I had fixed my "no reply" thing. I am very technologically challenged! If you cannot reply on my blog my e-mail address is gwreed at comcast dot net. Love you Blog!

mereth said...

Who's the gardener, you or Marty? My tomatoes got wilt early on, so I just gave up for this year, too much other stuff going on.
I don't have a lot of French General fabric, but it is delicious...

jude's page said...

Love your fabrics, and they all play nicely together. I have been reading your blog for ages, but have never commented before, so will try to do better, as I know it's nice to hear from readers

Shay said...

Be still my beating heart ! I love all things French General and if you really do have a problem with that stuff breeding in your sewing room, I'm more than happy to come and help you out by taking some it off your hands.

Your passata looks amazing Tara. If tomatoes get fairly cheap here at any point I may give that recipe a try!(Im still waiting for strawberries to drop so I can put up some jam for the year )

ruthsplace said...

Love the dresden plates. Your passata looks wonderful. Back when I used to have an abundance of tomatoes I used to roast them (quartered)in the oven with a drizzle of good quality olive oil and then freeze in ziplock bags. Wonderful for stirring through pasta with a bit of feta.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails