Monday, June 03, 2013

New York Beauty Workshop

This weekend just gone, I was so thrilled to be able to participate in a workshop with one of our most wonderful local teachers, Lessa Siegele. We were working on foundation pieced New York Beauty blocks, and had the very best fun. This is a project I've wanted to make for the longest time, and though I'll be waiting until I finish Mrs Billings before I work on the project any more, I can't wait to get busy with some of the brights in my stash.

Here are the blocks I created over the two days:


The block above was my first one, and I decided to test myself by adding the extra ring of points. Made for a mighty tricky insertion of the small quarter circle in the corner ... but I finally did it!


And a bright one with more points for the second day in class - definitely having fun rifling through my batik stash.

Those of you who know me will remember that I'm often a slowpoke in classes (but not always). In this class though I made only one block each day - I made them up very carefully ... and chattered a whole lot too :-)

There were 15 or so of us in the class, and here is a quick snap - one of each of our blocks (although it looks like there is a duplicate in there). It's amazing how different they all are, how fun!


Apologies for the blurry picture - I was shooting from a distance ... and let's face it - my pictures aren't the best even when I'm working with ideal conditions! ;-)

Lessa is a fabulous and generous teacher, we received the most informative handouts, and on the second day there were even more notes on other techniques she loves to teach. And for your viewing pleasure, she also generously allowed me to take and publish pictures of her class samples:

 This blue and white one is right up my alley don't you think? I can definitely see one in my future, being the vintage girl that I am.

And this one was the inspiration for the blocks I made - I figured while I'm in class, I may as well step outside my comfort zone ... way out of it!

So, that was my weekend, and the week previous was super busy too - in fact, I have a lot of quilty work ahead of me for the next month or two, so I hope I don't neglect the blog too much. And further to that, thank you so much to the sweet ladies who emailed me to check on me - what honeys you are! :-)

Let's hope before the end of the week I'm back up to date with my emails ... and if I'm really lucky I'll be back reading some blogs again too, I've missed you all! xox

10 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time - the new york beauty blocks are wonderful in those bright loud prints!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those all look so pretty. I'm afraid I would not get done with much in a class - I'm more of a chatter as it would be a social event for me, also I can't seem to sit still for long and would be wandering around looking at everyone's work and then go home and work on it in my own space and take my time.

Karen said...

Great job - looks like you had fun. Watch out, NYB blocks are very addicting. I know from personal experience :).

Linda said...

How wonderful! I took a class in Mariner's Compass eons ago and absolutely loved it. Maybe it's time to pull it out again? Happy you had a good time and you're back on line!
Lurking Linda

Sheila said...

these are so effective.and such fun to do. I would have liked to do the workshop as there is definitely one of these in my future

Deb said...

Those blocks look so pretty and out of such great fabrics. I started one of these quilts out of batiks a long time ago but never finished it. I might just have to pull out mine. Your blog is so inspiring!!

Shay said...

Beautiful blocks Tazzie. Love the bright fabrics.

Your workshop sounds like a lot of fun. What a great weekend!

sandra said...

Hi Tazzie,
I love those blocks! Where did you do the workshop? I'd love to do one. I really liked the double ring block. Can't wait to see Mrs Billings finished!
Sandra










ruthsplace said...

Those blocks are such fun!

Sue said...

love those blocks. What a fun day you must have had. I TRY not to talk to much in class, but it's hard. lol!
Lovely blocks Tazzie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails