Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ohhh, what a mess!

It’s not one of my favourite things to do, but it’s a means to an end. If I want to make scrap quilts, I need to have a supply of scrap fabrics. I knew that the only way I’d commit some time to cutting up scrap fabrics was to make it one of my deadlines. I spent a few hours cutting up strips and squares from my ‘stash trolley’. There was once a time when I could fit my whole stash into this trolley. I was once so proud of the fact that I was able to wheel my stash around the house if I chose to. Well, that’s sure not the case any more.

I have what you see here, plus four huge tubs, various bits and pieces in different hidey-holes, plus the ‘scrap bins’ I have made up in the style of Bonnie Hunter. Those few hours have barely made a dent in any part of the stash trolley, let alone a whole basket of the trolley. This goal is going to be the trickiest of the month! I’m not one to let a challenge get me down, even one I’ve issued to myself. I can do this!

I cut 1.5 inch, 2 inch, and 2.5 inch strips and squares. From pieces that were large enough, I cut 10.5 inch squares to use when piecing backing fabrics, and today for the first time I started a tub for 3.5 inch strips. I talked to hubby about it yesterday afternoon, and I’ve decided that when I get the stash under control, I’m going to get two cupboards to house the stash and other assorted items in the study. I like the ones that Bonnie keeps her fabric in, so I’m going to try for some like that. I made this mountain of fabric … I can bring it down again! Be strong!

Speaking of being strong, I made it thru my first day of points counting. There was just one challenge, I was heading toward the grocery store after dropping Cameron off at kindy, and I got a call from two girlfriends to meet them for lunch at the village. It was like they’d seen me … because that’s exactly where I was. We were all well behaved and ordered conservatively, despite all the temptations on the menu at the café.

Hope you're all having a great week!

16 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

Sounds like you have a good plan for the scraps. Earlier this year I cut a bunch of 1.5", 2", 2.5" and 3.5". Looking back now, I wished I cut 3" strips too, because that's the exact size you need to make 3.5" HSTs with the WonderCut Ruler. But of course, it's pointless to cut 3" if you don't have the WonderCut Ruler or if you don't like HSTs. :)

Joyce said...

Stash! Love it or hate it, quilters gotta live with it. Good on you for getting yours at least partway under control. It can be like a wild animal and take over your space if you are not careful.

Melanie said...

I like the cart idea. Then the fabric can easily travel.

Melanie

Melzie said...

Great job sticking with your points! :) xoxo melzie

quiltpixie said...

good job staying with the points!

ForestJane said...

Looks like you have a lot of cutting up to do! :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

You've been doing great things - sticking to the diet and organizing fabric. Good for you.

Hanne said...

Isn't it nice to organize fabrics ? :-)
Stash cupboards sounds like a nice idea and something to work forward to. Makes it easier to stick with the fabric diet when you have a goal.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm suffering from stash envy.:)

KC Quilter said...

We are two peas in a pod right now! I am tackling demon scraps to turn them into usable sizes and shapes too. I am also trying very hard to take off some poundage--which ain't easy anymore! Good luck with your projects.

Laurie Ann said...

Sounds like a great start on your new goals! Keep up the good work!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Good for you for wanting to get organised. When I started organising and folding and sorting fabrics I thought the process would never end and all I wanted to do was sew sew and sew. You'll see how nice it'll be once it's all sorted.

Good luck with countings points.

Darlene said...

Good luck taming your scraps - wish I could address mine.

You do some incredible quilts! I've got to go read your archives!

Jenni said...

I get this anxious feeling when I try to start cutting things up. What if I need to use it in a different size? Yeah right - I just look at it and touch it, and don't do enough sewing. Good effort having lunch out without a blowout. I'm NoCounting.

Eileen said...

Good for you counting your WW points. A girlfriend gave me all her WW stuff so I can start again. Our son is getting married in June and I don't want to be the elephant in the corner, if you know what I mean.
Stash on wheels, what a concept!! I'll be getting shelves, too. Can't be too soon, August will end and we'll need space to put new stuff, right?

Cher said...

great stash trolley-I know what you mean about setting that cutting goal-good luck with it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails