Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Double Irish Chain

Gosh I just love Bonnie's scrap quilt patterns. I never have to push myself to work on one of them, I just want to get sewing on all the scrap quilts I'm making. Maybe it's because her instructions are so inclusive that nothing ever goes horribly wrong?

Well yesterday was no exception, I made 5 more blocks toward my Double Irish Chain quilt. (I wanted to work on the blue and cream too, but have to wait for that one :-) weigh in on Monday) I really wanted to make some more blocks, but chores were calling. I made a big dent in the housework, so today after I'm done teaching at the quilt store I can work the sewing table in a big way!

I laid out the blocks I made, and I'm so thrilled with how they're coming together. With more blocks, it's super fun to see how the pattern starts working its way around the quilt. I don't know at this stage how big I'll make the quilt. I'm thinking that it'll either be 7 blocks square with a border, or 9 blocks square without a border. If I add a border, I'll add a narrow border the width of the squares, and strip piece a border also the width of the squares. That's a way off though, so I won't consume my thoughts with it.

I don't know how easy it is to see in the picture (still working with the phone) but there is actually a tiny bit of a plan with the blocks. There is a link through the blocks, scrap blue squares threading through the middle. Super fun!

20 comments:

Linda C said...

The blocks are turning out well in your DIC and the blue/cream blocks from yesterday too!

Melzie said...

OH I noticed the blue before I read that! So yes its noticable Tazzie. Looks beautiful, love those rich colors :) xoxo melzie

Melanie said...

The irish chain is looking great -- are you going to border it? I really like the colors. A border will really bring out a color in the patchwork...
I'm jealous of your sewing time this week. You are getting tons done.

quiltpixie said...

scrap quilting with a plan! what an idea :-) I love the blue going through the middle...

ForestJane said...

Thats coming along nicely... I agree, the quilts without a lot of little persnickety triangles and templates, like to come together nicely. :)

Susan said...

Yes, the pattern is showing up, and it looks great! Love the scrappiness of it. Are you planning the scraps at all, or just taking what comes next?

Cher said...

I feel the same way about Bonnie's patterns, she is an excellent written instructions/photos teacher! What a great top this is turning into, it's another on my one day make list :-)

Hedgehog said...

I'm using one of Bonnie's patterns for the first time this week and feel the same way! Your chain looks great.

Darlene said...

Tazzie - it's looking great! It's wonderfully scrappy!

Fiona said...

Love it! The colours are just right, can't wait to see it finished and what you use for borders.

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic. I love the scrappy blocks.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is looking great! I like to use a subtle tone on tone/print for backgrounds too. You are making great progress on this!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Jenni said...

Yes it looks great. Keep going!

Shelina said...

That is turning out really nicely. I like the plan of putting the blue.

Unknown said...

I like your color choices in the Double Irish Chain--warm and cool.

KC Quilter said...

Wow, what a stunner. Love this quilt. I may need to print off those directions from Bonnie's site. I'm amassing a few scraps myself LOL!

The Calico Cat said...

I see the blue! Mine failed miserably, because I did not "create" a pattern. (I was doing a blue & yellow with white & though the scrappy way would work, not!)

Joyce said...

I love your Double Irish Chain. THe blue pattern really adds to it. I just finished piecing one and love the way they come together. I did find a mistake on mine after all the borders were on though. I found it hard to remember where the white goes on the middle row of squares. How are you going to quilt yours? I have a complex pattern in the white squares and maybe fans on the border.

Vicky said...

An Irish Chain is on my near future to-do list. Yours is fabulous!

Oh, "That Thing You Do" is one of my favorite movies. I always feel so happy when I've watched it! :)

Passionate Quilter said...

it's looking good-and I like a little bit of order in a scrap quilt, even if it's like yours, a blue that kind of makes a design. I love your blue/tans blocks too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails