Friday, August 25, 2006

By popular request ...

Thank you to everyone who expressed an interest in seeing my applique quilt 'Christmas in the Garden' unfurled and in all its glory. I really like this quilt, it's Christmas-y but not Christmas fabrics. The applique is needle-turned, and it's hand quilted. I don't hand quilt so much any more, I want to get back to it.

A big hello to Dawn's friend Kathie who emailed via Dawn to have a closer look!

This quilt was in Australian Patchwork and Quilting, Vol 14, No 1, the February 2006 issue. If you have that issue, you're also going to be able to read more about me than you're ever likely to need to know!

To take this picture, I had to tidy away the Thomas the Tank Engine railway that had magically appeared in the lounge, there were tiny clues around the place about who had put it there ... little piles of sultanas ... and tiny shoes ... it must have been a tiny man ...

And to give you a little perspective of where we are in the house, I took a picture looking forward from where I'm standing ... I'm in the lounge, looking toward the entry at the front of the house ... you can see where the quilt 'would' have been ... and where it soon will be again. The ultimate plan for this quilt is for it to live on the wall over our bed. I just need to get myself organised and put a hanging sleeve on the back.

My little quilt rack is there on the left. The quilt on the front is one of my most prized possesions. It's a quilt called 'Hat Boxes' it was made by my wonderful friend Linda, and presented to me when I visited with her earlier this year in the USA. In the middle is a wholecloth cot quilt I made when I was expecting Cameron. I hand quilted it, and I was so lucky that it won best hand quilting at our guild show. The quilt on the left side of the rack is my 'Faith of Friends' quilt, which is special to me as it's the first one I ever had published.

I know many of you are interested, lunch with my friend yesterday was AMAZING! We had the very best time, it just flew. It was like we had just seen each other yesterday, not 20 years ago. We just talked non stop. To hear names I'd forgotten about was super fun, and to hear all about what she'd been up to ... well, Nat has been living a huge life. We have made plans to catch up again. This time we won't let 20 years pass by! I'm so pleased we bumped into each other that day at the village, and I'm so glad I found her number again after losing it!

Well, that's it from me ... have a great day everyone!

17 comments:

quiltpixie said...

love the colours in your quilt. Amazing that thomas the tank sprouts in your living room almost as fast as in my girlfriend's. Must be able to travel at warp speed :-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I'm so glad you had a wonderful lunch with your friend! And your quilt is still as beautiful as it was in the magazine! I still have to take some pics of my entry way, just been too busy to do it!

Unknown said...

It's great that you had a good reunion with your friend. Catching up with old friends is a treat.

Darlene said...

Tazzie, Thank you, thank you for unfolding that incrediblyy beautiful Christmas quilt. It is truly stunning. I'm determined to come play with you so you can teach me everything you know. OK?
So, when can I come???? :-)

Darlene said...

Well, how rude was that?? I'm so sorry I failed to comment on your visit with your friend and how happy I am that it was such a pleasant experience for both of you.

I just yelled into the other room at my DH and told him that I'm going to see you. He said "alrighty". LOL

Susan said...

The quilt is gorgeous. Even though it's Christmas colors, it could be out any time of the year. You did a wonderful job on an amazing quilt. I'm glad you had such a successful lunch with your friend. Sometimes it doesn't turn out that way, so this was just wonderful!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Beautiful quilt, Taz. I love getting a look around your house. I'll have to annoy my Aussie friend when she gets back from holiday to see her issues of AP&Q,

Hmm, "lounge" is obviously a multipurpose word. (sorry, you know I love language.) In this particular case it must mean "living room" since I know when you say you are "in the lounge" you are not actually in the sofa. ;-)

Hedgehog said...

Now I'm curious about the quilts on the rack! (Especially Hat Boxes!)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great quilt - so much hand work! I don't think I would ever have the self-discipline to do the same pattern over and over again - but I do love looking at others materpieces! Yes, yes, yes - go get a hanging sleeve on the back of that baby before it gets creases from being folded! It certainly deserves the place of honor on the wall in your bedroom.

So glad you had a fun time with your friend. I have a friend like that - sometimes years and years go by before we see each other and then sometimes we are very lucky and get to see each other every other 2-3 years. It doesn't matter - it always seems like just yesterday each and every time we get together!

And like Tonya - from your last post I thought lounge meant sofa or couch, but now I am thinking it also means living room or den. Interesting...

Cheers!

Evelyn

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for showing the whole quilt... Now you know we want to see those that are on the rack....

Darcie said...

"Christmas in the Garden" is splendid, Tazzie! Gorgeous in any season!

How 'bout unfurling the others in all of their glory?!? Please?!

Love your mug mat gift set. Adorable. Hope you get to see more of your long time friend...perhaps she'll be able to acquire a whole setting of mats and mugs from you! ;-)

ForestJane said...

Cute mug and rug!

But, one question, you said:
... little piles of sultanas ...

I thought sultanas were a larger squishier version of what we call raisins. Why would Thomas the Tank Engine be surrounded by piles of raisins?

Hanne said...

What a wonderful quilt ! I like to do Christmas quilts without Christmas fabrics too - by using colours and value.

Anonymous said...

I thought I recognised the quilt from AP&Q - you have done such a WONDERFUL job of it! I'm glad you had such a blast with your friend.

Eileen said...

Catching up on old times and friends is so much fun! Glad it went well.
I love that Christmas quilt, it looks like a classic.

Linda C said...

This is THE quilt, or maybe not, that the magazine has proprietary rights over and you couldn't show yet? No wait, that must be another one that you had published as you said Feb 2006 issue and THE quilt was just a month or so back completed.

Well, it is wonderful and also way to go on the UFO completion. You may have inspired me to pull out an old Santa applique and get it done--few more stars to anchor down and I can think about basting it.

Shelina said...

That is an incredibly gorgeous quilt. So beautiful. I really like the pattern, the color selection, the applique circles.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails