Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mug Mat

Today is the day that I get to have lunch with a long lost high school friend. We haven't seen each other for 20 years I guess. I finished high school at 16, so the maths is easy!

It's funny, I'm really excited about meeting up with her again, but I have a few nerves too, and I have no idea why? We were really good friends, so I have no worries about her, but maybe it's about the passage of time and the toll it's taken on me? Who knows, so I'm determined to shut any thoughts like that out of my head and just enjoy the afternoon.

Just for fun, I sent her an SMS last night to ask her favourite colour. She replied that it's hot pink, so I decided to set to work and make her a little treat.

Log Cabin is a block that features prominently in my life, so I made up a little block and turned it into a 'Mug Mat'. I then purchased a mug that had some hot pink on it and made it up into a little giftie.

What a fun way to remember our afternoon together.

We're going to a local cafe, and I know they have wonderful salads there, so I'll be able to keep strong on the diet. I feel sure there will be some blue and cream 'Blue Ridge Beauty' blocks in my future. Now here's a question for my friends ... I need a name for the blue and cream quilt when it's done, and it would be fun to maybe have a diet reference ... ideas anyone??

Have a great day everyone!

20 comments:

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Hi Tazzie! after talking to you on the phone (thanks so much for the phone call..it was GREAT to hear your voice!)I had to pop over here and see your mug mat! It's darling, she will love it (how could she not?!?) and I LOVE your peacock meandering on it....gorgeous!

Have a wonderful lunch and let us know how it went!

Bonnie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Oooh - that mug mat is just too cute - what a great gift idea! Have fun meeting up with your old friend.

Cheers!

Evelyn

quiltpixie said...

diet quilt names for blue and white.... "Not Blue Cheese" :-)

Jenni said...

That's what I was thinking - something to so with Blue Vein Cheese. Pretty obvious ha?

Cathi said...

Tazzie-

I love the little giftie, beautifully presented there...your friend will LOVE it!

I am exactly the same age as you, LOL, if MY maths are right, 1970 is a good year, huh?

My Weight Watchers is on hold, have failed miserably with lots of stress from our moving situation (we thought it was going to be postponed again, but so far so good!) I will be having a Weigh in Wednesday after my first meeting in our new town, if you'd like to join me!

No-Guilt Blueberries and Cream for the quilt name? LOL

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Blue popsicles (or ice-lollies elsewhere) are fat free :c)

Why is it so many quilts are named after FOOD anyway??

Okay. I'm going to bed now! It's 11:30 and I'm nearly done making the rounds through the ring....

Bonnie

Fiona said...

What a great idea for a gift (and so beautifully wrapped too, your friend will love it.

Bonnie said...

What a nice gift for your friend. You just gave me a great idea for Christmas gifts! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Blueberry Smoothie??

Patti said...

Your little giftie is perfect. I know you two will have a wonderful time. As far as quilt names - I'm usually at a totall loss until I see the entire quilt. Then I wait until it talks to me. But I'll put on my thinking cap and see if I can come up with something.

Darlene said...

Your gift is perfect. I'm sure she absolutely loved it. What a sweet treat for her.

Quilt - "Blueberry Cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous little gift! I'm sure everyone feels a little apprehensive about seeing someone they haven't seen for many many years. Enjoy your afternoon together :-)

Passionate Quilter said...

what a cute little gift--I bet she loved it! Hope you gals had a great time laughing and reminiscing.

Hanne said...

What a nice gift. Your friend will appreciate it very much. I bet you had a lovely time meeting.
Why not call your quilt Blueberry pie with cream ? I call my block sewing Quilt Snacks - fat free as they are ;-)

Hedgehog said...

What a great idea! Hope you have/had fun. I'm making a small tea-inspired wall-hanging and giving it with tea and mugs - will have to add some mug mats!! Thanks!

The Calico Cat said...

dieting blues....

Nice gifty!

Shelina said...

Those are such nice gifties. I met a fellow quilter from a newsgroup we were both in, and I too was very nervous about it. I just wondered if we would be able to find enough in common to have a conversation. Whatever would we talk about?
After we met though, it was great. We talked nonstop throughout the evening, and never ran out of conversation.
I hadn't thought about gifties but now I know that I should have prepared something.

Laurie Ann said...

Your friend will love that gift! Very cute!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I hope your having a wonderful time! I love the mug mat and what a fun gift! As for name - I'm terrible with quilt names!

Anonymous said...

What a great gift! You're so sweet :-) I hope the reunion went wonderfully!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails