Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Miniature Start

Last night I started to work on my quilt for the guild show in November. I decided to enter a miniature again, and you see the start of my little quilt here. There will be 9 blocks, sashed with either quarter or half inch sashing strips and cornerstones, and then an appliqué border. I’ve put the square on my cutting mat so you can see the size and width of the wreath compared with the inch markings on my mat. I just measured the width of the circular section, and it's just on 1/8" wide.

I love miniature quilts, and have been mega-lucky to have won the category for the past three years. I was blown away by the miniature quilts in the show in Paducah, they were just amazing! On the Saturday evening in Paducah, with two of my quilting buddies, we went on a walking tour through some of the homes in the downtown Paducah area. It was one of the most fascinating things I've done. At one of the homes, they were dressed up in Civil War era costumes ... fascinating ... but I digress ... In one of the last homes we visited, we bumped into Judy Day, a fellow Aussie quilter, who had placed 3rd in miniatures in the competiton in Paducah! Amazing work!

So, today at quilt group, I'll be taking along my miniature to work on, and taking along the Dancing Dolphin for show and tell. Some of my buddies there who know me so well will be amazed that it's finished!

7 comments:

quiltpixie said...

what a beautifully shaped circle... are you the designer for the quilt too?

Susan said...

That circle is just perfect. I love the color of green. I can hardly wait to see what you've come up with for the whole thing. I admire people who can do tiny, but that would not be me. =)

Passionate Quilter said...

looks intriguing already! I love that color, so am anxious to see what's next. And mega-lucky? Hmm, I think talent and ability comes more to mind and hard work! I'm sure you earned it! Good luck on the next one.

Anonymous said...

I love miniature quilts too but I have big hands and find tiny applique a bit difficult. The block is looking wonderful already! Looking forward to seeing your entry in it's entirety :-)

Hanne said...

I am looking forward to see more of your miniature quilt in the making. Miniatures are so catching - I enjoy making them and looking at them.

Anonymous said...

I love the green. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Hope you're having a great day

Gail said...

Lovely shade of green- and so perfectly round! Can't wait to see the finished quilt-hee's hoping that you win this year, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails