Thursday, August 31, 2006

Mail, Gifties and Show and Tell

Well, I have just had the best week so far. Really, the past seven days have been wonderful. Last Thursday I had lunch with a long lost friend, and I shared the little giftie I made for her. In the mail this week, I received a lovely card from Nat and the little book in the picture. We had shared with each other that we both love shoes, and just can never have too many, so the little book of quotes all relates to friendships and shoes. Just too cute! The card says 'I'm looking forward to kicking off our friendship again'. So sweet!

Also in the picture is a 'tumbler' template. I had seen the tumbler quilt on Dawn's blog, and thought it was wonderful, so cruised ebay once more to see what I could come up with. I have a different package of Pepper Cory's templates, so when I saw this one, I knew it would be a good one to have. The thing I like about this one is I can use it with my 3.5" pre cut strips. Yay! It arrived this week, and I really want to play with it, but I'm going to wait until I get some other things finished.

Also, by popular request is a picture of the 'Hat Boxes' quilt that Linda gave to me while I was in the US with her earlier this year. This quilt is one of my most treasured posessions, and it's on display on the quilt rack in my lounge room.

The quilt is just beautiful, and Linda has made it up beautifully. I can't tell you too much about it, as I don't know who the pattern designer was. I know Linda had it professionally quilted. The fabric is just gorgeous, I could just look at it all day long.

Also, one of my non-blog friends asked me when the picture in my profile was taken. Well, that's an easy one, it was taken in April this year while I was in the US. You can just see the corner of Linda's blue shirt on the bottom left there. We're in McClintocks bar at Pismo Beach. I'm amazed I look anything more than tired, as it was the same day I arrived in the US, so I'd just spent 16 hours flying, and several hours in the car that day! I think I was running on adrenaline!

Today I'm going to spend some time in Cameron's room tidying and culling the toys. Wish me luck people, this is going to be a big job!

19 comments:

Jenni said...

It's a lovely quilt Taz, and nice to 'kick off' a new/old friendship

Carolyn said...

Hi Tazz...the quilt is a Kaffe Fassett design and I only know that because I've quilted one and I had to quilt exactly the way it was in the book. Just wish I could remember the title of the book...
It's a lovely quilt and it sounds as if you've had a lovely week. Aren't friends wonderful?

Carolyn

Melzie said...

I HATE doing kids room duty :) THe quilt is beautiful as is the gift from your friend, too too sweet :) xoxo melzie

quiltpixie said...

what a thoughtful gift, and it sounds like your friend must have spent some time finding just the right card...

Susan said...

What wonderful friends you have. =) Every time I see your picture, you remind me of Bonnie Hunter.

How well I remember those toy-culling days! Hope it went well.

Unknown said...

Oh, I like that Hat Box quilt. And I like the tumbler template too--I bet I could plow through my scraps with that one. Although the scraps seem to increase when you work with them. Must be some sort of principle of physics.

Gail said...

I understand why that quilt is such a treasured possession-even if it wasn't from a special friend, its absolutely beautiful on its own.

Darcie said...

Love your Hat Box quilt! I've never seen anything like it before. That floral border is just lovely...as are all the florals, I guess! ;-)

Sounds like you and your friend are going to have a great time staying in touch.

Anonymous said...

The Hat Box quilt is beautiful. What an amazing gift.

Hedgehog said...

I love the hat boxes, thanks for sharing! Have fun with that tumbler template, too!

The Calico Cat said...

That hat box quilt is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Eileen said...

The hatbox quilt is breathtaking! It's sure to be an heirloom.
Glad you had such a good week, I think we all deserve one once in a while.
When you shop ebay, is it ours or is there one specifically for Oz? I don't go there very often, I just don't want to get hooked on another internet thing.

KC Quilter said...

Wowser, that Hat Box quilt is amazing! Lucky you--for the quilt AND the friendship!

Darlene said...

The Hat Box quilt is beautiful - just like your friendship. I know that you'll always treasure it. Thanks for sharing it.

I've been working on a tumbler quilt off and on but haven't worked on it in quite awhile. I wonder where it is??? HMMMM

Laura said...

Oh wow, the Hat Box quilt is so gorgeous. Lucky you having a friend like Linda!!!

I love Dawn's tumbler quilt also~!

Hanne said...

What a lovely quilt gift. I have actually seen the original Hat Box quilt live - at Kaffe Fasset's exebithion (sp?) in Gotenburg, Sweden, some years back.
Tumblers are nice to do, and if you know the right technique it will not give you more scraps :-) Seems like you have the old good friendship going again - very nice.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I can't wait to see your tumbler quilt! I'm just cutting tumblers and putting them in a stack, so nothing to show yet! And what a beautiful quilt from Linda! What a fabulous week you have had!

Passionate Quilter said...

Love that hat box quilt--you know by now whose it is--I have it in a book at home somewhere (I'm on a trip right now). But what a lovely quilt to receive from a friend. How special. And I love that little card your "old" friend sent you, what a nice sentiment.

Shelina said...

I like Pepper Corys templates too, I have some but haven't used them yet. I bought them when I thought smaller was easier. That hat boxes quilt is so adorable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails