Monday, August 14, 2006

Atlantic Jewels Top Finished!

After dinner last night I settled myself in the sewing room and got to work on the Atlantic Jewels blocks. I managed to finish the last two blocks in such good time I thought I'd have a play with them and see what to do next.

I set them out on the floor, and decided they really did need sashing strips. They looked nice abutting each other, but I just felt they needed something more. The sashing strips are 1.5" wide finished, and I used a really cute Judie Rothermel print which I purchased at Hancocks of Paducah in that frenzied back room!

Since I'd come so far by that stage, I decided to go ahead and add the border. The border print is the impulse buy from my favourite quilt store Quiltaholics last month. I have just enough of the border print left to bind the quilt with when I'm done.

The blocks are all pieced from stash fabrics, which makes me smile. It's fun to look at the different fabrics in the blocks and remember where they came from. I have used three backgrounds (it's hard to tell from the picture tho). One of the backgrounds is the backing fabric from Amy's Fairy quilt. One was from my Sarah Johnson quilt. A lot of the fabrics were sent to me by my wonderful friend Linda from San Jose. Also, some were leftovers from my DJ quilt. Lovely memories, and one to mark off the goals list.

Today being Monday, I've decided it will be D-Day. That is Diet Day. I have made myself a promise to begin counting Weight Watchers points again. You would think I've been getting ready to hibernate the way I've been going lately. We're heading into spring soon, so I need to shake off a few of these pounds I've found before the weather gets warmer. If I record something of my progress here, at least it'll keep me honest. Wish me luck people!

16 comments:

quiltpixie said...

this is a beautiful quilt... I love the border fabric :-)

Melzie said...

beautiful quilt! good luck with the WW :) xoxo melzie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Tazzie, The Atlantic Jewels quilt is gorgeous! I absolutely love it! Great Job!

Passionate Quilter said...

wow! that turned out really nice! I agree that the sashing strips were needed, each block needed have it's own space! the border fabric was perfect!

Hanne said...

The Atlantic Jewel top is gorgeous ! How do you plan to quilt it ?

ForestJane said...

Very nice jewels! The sashing was a great idea, and the fabric you picked for it is perfect. Plus, all your points look so good. :)

Cathi said...

The quilt looks great! Looks like you are doing great with your goals list for August. I just finished my first day of counting points for Weight Watchers too...only I gained 40 pounds over the last year, I hope posting about it keeps me making progress too!

Cher said...

hurray for getting this quilt so far along- you did great. good luck with losing those pounds- I hold loosely to WW too...too loose!

Joyce said...

Love the quilt. THe border is perfect. Isn't it great to use only stash! I especially like using up small bits to make something nice.

Cynthia said...

your quilt is just gorgeous. Well done.

Laura said...

Gorgeous quilt and I just love the border!

Laurie Ann said...

Love that finished top! You have a great way with colors. Very rich looking!

Finn said...

Hi Tazzie, your Atlantic Jewels are just awesome! I do love that pattern, and I did go and down load it after seeing your first block. Haven't begun it yet, but I will *VBS*
And how great you could find what you needed in your stash! The lattice and border is just perfect..congratulations!
Hugs, Finn

Doodlebug Gail said...

Gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous! I've been following your progress on these blocks and love the way it's all come together.

Marlublu said...

Good luck with your diet. I love your quilt. It looks complicated to me. The points look perfect. I know what you mean about scraps. I even hate to throw out tiny scraps thanks to Bonnie.

Anonymous said...

What a great stash quilt accomplishment! Good luck with WW!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails