Sunday, September 03, 2006

Winnie the Pooh quilt

Firstly, let me say a big Happy Father's Day to my wonderful Dad. We'll be catching up at a BBQ at Mum & Dad's house today. He's a wonderful man, and I'm so lucky to have him in my life.

I had no clue that Father's Day was celebrated at different times in different places, but I guess it would be more strange if everyone got together and organised it for the same time? For my friends in the US, I hope you're having a great Labor Day long weekend!

For today's dose of eye-candy, I have attached a picture of a quilt top that has been haunting me for years! This is a quilt I began piecing shortly after Cameron was born. I had decorated his room with a Winnie the Pooh theme, and had grand plans for this quilt to be ready for when he moved from the cot to a 'big boy's bed'.

As you can see, I've gotten stuck at the first mini border. I have made a mountain of half square triangles for the next part of the border, but I think it was the final border that had me unglued. I have decided to add the half square triangle border and call it finished. Maybe I'll add a plain final border, I'll decide when I get there. Cameron's room has long been themed Buzz Lightyear, and so this quilt just needs to be off the nagging UFO list, and out of my head.

On my list of goals for this month, this quilt is to be at the 'marked and pinned' stage. If I get it quilted, that will be a bonus! I would like to do some feathered wreaths in the alternate blocks, and other than that, I have no plans for the quilting ... ohh, except for the fact that this will be machine quilted, and not hand quilted like I had originally planned.

14 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Tazzie, love the long time UFO...it's so good to know that happens to you also..*VBS* You do get soooo much done.

Hope your time with Dear Dad was a super duper one! And yes, I actually think it is a good thing that all the "card selling" industries haven't lumped everyones holiday in the same day around the world..nicer that way..ours in June and in Sept, we can enjoy yours. Hugs, Finn

Quilts And Pieces said...

OH I hope you had a great Father's day! And good luck getting that UFO done! I have a few of those as well! :)

ForestJane said...

Now you'll just have to have another child to give it to... lol

Susan said...

What a nice tribute to your dad.

You are really working through those UFOs!

Hedgehog said...

Those bright solids are great! Good luck wrapping it up!

Kim West said...

Love the UFO - very pretty.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Nothing wrong with changing your original plans/intent when it comes to a project - I am sure you will feel thrilled to have it finished!

My DH told me that Austria used to never have Father's Day... it was added years and years after Mother's Day. And, hope you had a nice Barbie with your Dad!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Hanne said...

I will be working on an Ufo one hour a day (at least) , starting today, so if you want some company I am here :-)
My goal is to finish the top during September.

Happy Father's Day!
Our Father's Day is the second Sunday of November and the Mother's Day is second Sunday of February - just to add to the variety.

Unknown said...

What a cute quilt! Is it pre-Disney Winnie the Pooh or post-Disney? Can't quite make it out in the picture.

Gail said...

Listen, it may be a long time UFO, but if he isn't having his own children yet, you still have time! Actually, just finish in time for his first and say you planned it that way all along. LOL

Joyce said...

UFOs can always wait for grandchildren if they have to! Lol.

quiltpixie said...

wonderful idea to get the UFO ready to qulit, and to change your plans and make it doable -- no reason to hand quilt it, or add a third border if it no longer "Calls" to you... :-)

karen said...

I love Winnie the Pooh! I have made a couple of quilts over the years centered around him also.

Anonymous said...

Oh damn - I missed Father's Day! It's different here in South Africa, but our fathers are still in Australia! Thanks for the reminder Tazzie :) We are bad, bad children, I'm going to have to seriously grovel over this one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails