Saturday, September 23, 2006

Purple Hearts

Today I'm sharing the big sister of the miniature quilt from the other day. I made this one first, and I think I managed to lay out the applique better on the small one. You can see I've used more of 'that purple' fabric. It's almost embarrasing how many of my quilts feature log cabin blocks. This quilt was featured in an Express Publications book in 2004, it was my second quilt to be published. It's a lap size, I think around 48" x 60". I have only just brought it home this week, it has spent a lot of time at the quilt store selling patterns of itself. Nothing like putting the quilts to work!

My favourite part of this quilt is the hand quilting. I've taken a close up picture and hopefully you can see it. I decided to be brave and quilted it in purple thread. When I took the first picture I forgot to take the flash off, and I ended up with this huge white photo. I'm learning more about photography every day! Hand quilting is my favourite part of the whole process, but I'm machine quilting more and more each day. It's just so much faster to do, and many of the quilts I make are to be 'used' and don't really warrant hand quilting.

Today is a small anniversary of sorts. This is my 100th post. Who ever would have guessed I'd be able to keep it up for so long. Thank you all for stopping by, and for leaving comments, and for becoming my friends. It's been super fun! Bring on 200 posts!

19 comments:

Cynthia said...

congratulations on your 100th post.

When i saw your miniature version the other day i thought i recognised it from somewhere although it was actually the lap size that i had seen before.

Joyce said...

Your hand quilting looks so even. I have trouble keeping my stitches the same size. I'm very impressed with your quilt and I love the colors of it.

Cher said...

beautiful hand quilting-nicely done!and congrats on your 100 mile stone.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Happy 100th post! I sometimes need to use the flash to photo, but you are right - the flash will wash out close-up photos. I have good luck standing on a chair, zooming in and then taking the photo - oh the things we do for our blogs! LOL. Beautiful quilt and wonderful hand quilting - the purple thread is fun.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Mary Johnson said...

The purple quilt is very pretty. I also tend to do a lot of log cabin quilts It's a pattern that lends itself well to scraps and with a change in layout can look very different. In fact, my Autumn quilt is a Pinapple pattern which of course is a log cabin variation.

Shelina said...

When I saw this picture, I thought you had forgotten you had already showed us that one. You have two of them. How neat! This one is really pretty too. Hmm, probablymore doable for me than a miniature. The hand quilting is exquisite.
Happy 100th post! I'm glad you are here. You'll be hitting your 10,000th hit, looks like you are close. It is 8,916 now.

Melzie said...

Happy 100 :D xoxo melzie

quiltpixie said...

happy 100th :-)

The purple handquilting looks great. Nice and even...

Hedgehog said...

Beautiful in both sizes. Congrats on the 100th post. I think the log cabin is my favorite block. The trouble is that I never know how to quilt it.

Darlene said...

Another exquisite quilt. Your handquilting is beautiful.

100 posts - WOW - you started blogging after I did and I just in the 50's. I need to chat more. LOL

Jenni said...

Happy 100 posts

Ali Honey said...

That's wonderful hanquilting.I'm glad you too use bright cotton so the work shows.
Be very proud of it.
Well done on your 100th post and thanks as I enjoy reading what you have to share. Best Wishes from NZ.

May Britt said...

Congrat on your 100th post.
I love log cabin and you have made a beautiful quilt. And your handquilting is lovely. I handquilt most of my quilts, big and small. It takes some time to finish them but I love handquilting.

Have a nice day.

KC Quilter said...

Another beauty! I just love your work. And the handquilting is exquisite. Congrats on your 100th post.

Carolyn said...

I just love your quilts...and all of the log cabins! I've only done two and want to make another. Congratulations on the 100th post...I wonder how many I've posted?

Juliann in WA said...

the hand quilting is lovely - being a hand quilter myself - I do love to see others still pursuing the craft - Juliann

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love that quilt and the hand quilting is gorgeous!

Eileen said...

I clicked on your post and went "OOOH!" That's the first thing that went through my mind. I love the purple quilt. Honestly, I didn't even notice it was a log cabin until you mentioned it. It's just beautiful.

Hanne said...

A lovely quilt and lovely hand quilting. Happy 100 post :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails