Thursday, September 21, 2006

And the year before last's miniature

On this year's miniature, I've completed six blocks as of last night, and today I'll add some sashing strips, and get started on another block. It's a slow process working on the tiny applique, and I'm making myself take the time so I do it right. I'm really looking forward to the quilting on the miniature. hand quilting is one of my favourite parts of the whole process.

Tomorrow I should have a picture to show you of where I'm at with the current miniature, but for today's eye candy, I'm showing you the miniature I made in 2004. I think this one is my favourite of all because of the colours. Until Amy declared purple as one of her favourite colours, I hadn't really worked with it at all.

When Amy was small I made her a 'fairy' quilt which I showed on here some time ago. For that quilt I ordered some bali batik fabric in the 'amethyst' colourway for two blocks. I must have been in a fog while I was ordering, because for some reason I ordered two yards! Well, that amethyst fabric appeared in many quilts for the next few years (including the dolphin quilts that both Renee and I made), and this little quilt used the very last of the fabric.

This miniature quilt is 12" x 15". Each log cabin block is 3" wide. This quilt was actually the same as a larger quilt I made which was featured in an Express Publications book in 2004.

Well, that's it for today, I have to go get ready to take my parents to the airport. They're heading to Italy for three weeks. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!

14 comments:

Darlene said...

Another beautiful minature. So, so pretty! Thanks for sharing another one.

Darcie said...

Beautiful, Tazzie! I'd give you a blue ribbon!!!

Italy! Oh...I hope they'll share some pics with you...that you can pass on to us! ;-)

Melzie said...

Very pretty Tazzie! I enjoyed the fairy quilt too, I need to peruse your archives I saw some other eye catchers back there too :) xoxo melzie

Finn said...

Hi Tazzie, sorry to be missing in action so much lately..*S* I've looked at each of the minatures you've post back to your Featherweight(great find by the way!) and each one is just more beautiful that the others.
You do such exquisite work...I can't hardly even imagine how you handle such tiny pieces. I love the straight furrows log cabin..great colors and choice of applique.
I'm sure you can pull this newest one into place in time for the quilt show..Big hugs, Finn

Hedgehog said...

Your miniatures are just so amazing, Tazzie! I love the purple in this one. Those applique pieces are just too small for me to imagine!

Hanne said...

Your miniatures are very nice Tazzie - a true inspiration :-)
Please tell - when you are doing needle turn applique, do you mark and turn, do you leave the freezer paper on top or do you eyeball the seam allowance. Curious mind wants to know :-)

Melanie said...

Piecework and Applique on that miniature are beautiful. I liked the way you used purple in it.
Thanks for sharing
Melanie

Gail said...

Wonderful minis! so much detail.

Anonymous said...

Another nice quilt....

Amy is right. (purple is one of my favorite colors too!)

The other Amy

KC Quilter said...

Oh, wow, another grand miniature!!! Won't you please come to America and teach us how you do that???

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I do love the purple in it! Your miniatures are amazing. I"m still wondering how you do all that teeny tiny applique!

Joyce said...

Your minatures are just amazing. I'd love to see them in person. I'm sure they would look even better.

Anonymous said...

Wish I were going with your folks!

this miniature is equally gorgeous!

Shelina said...

I love purple! I have a miniature wall hanging quilt on my to-do list that is very similar to that one. I am thinking I might just have to substitute this one in that one's place.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails