Thursday, October 26, 2006

Two more toward Xmas

Strike another goal off the list! I have completed the scarf for my MIL, I will make her a quilted bag too to complete her Xmas gift. Knitting seems to be really in vogue right now, so it wasn't hard to get into it at all. Cameron loved the scarf while I was knitting it, and he's asked for me to make him one too. He's chosen the wool already (from my very small stash) and I've cast on and started a few rows.

I've also made up a little Xmas gift for one of Marty's cousins. I found these really cute coffee cups and thought I'd make up some little mug mats to go with them. I really like how the cups look with the mats, so I may find some more cups and put them aside for birthday gifts for my friends during the course of the year.

Yesterday was a superfun day. I always love my teaching day at the quilt store. We have the loveliest bunch of girls come along, it's more like a social group. One of the girls, Maureen, is just learning how to machine quilt, and she's got a few projects backed up waiting to be quilted. She's been making up these little table runners lately, they're made up from those little 5" squares of Moda fabrics, you know the ones, right? Well, I felt like it would be fun to do a little mindless machine quilting, so I offered to quilt one for her. Her favourite design is the peacock feathers, so I happily quilted it for her last night.

This morning I'm taking my dear little Bernie in to be serviced. It's really due to be done, but you know, I can never bear to be away from it. I called Otto, and he asked me 'What are you going to do?' because he knows how prolific I can be ... and I told him that this time I'll just have to go into withdrawal for a little while. If I really need to, I can crack open one of the Featherweight boxes. My last goal for the month could be interesting without my favourite machine, but where there's a will, there's a way!

13 comments:

May Britt said...

you post reminds med to start buying christmas gifts. I am curious how you will make the mug mats.
Your peacock feather quilting is lovely. I love that pattern too, but I have not dared to quilt it by machine yet. I am still learning to machinequilt. The peacock looks so difficult.

Cathi said...

How do you find enough hours in the day to get so many things done!! This year only my mom is getting a handmade present from me...

I'd love to know how you did the peacock feathers quilting! Did you mark the quilt with the design, or have you just memorized the motif enough to freehand it! I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

Wow you are a great quilter...was that done free hand on your home machine? I like to machine quilt but yours is awesome..What class did you teach? You are really getting alot of projects done..you go girl..Toni

Carolyn said...

The quilting on this is gorgeous! You seem very organized and get so much done...way to go!

Anonymous said...

The quilting is amazing! I love the coffee cups, they will make great gifts. I haven't started thinking about Christmas yet.

Darlene said...

Finishing up beautiful Christmas gifts - way to go.

The peacock quilting is awesome!

Cher said...

your quilting is gorgeous...and I love the coffe cups/mug mats-you are surely an inspiration to work on gifts!

Melanie said...

Beautiful work, you'll have to post your techniques, I'm so interested.

Laurie Ann said...

I know what you mean. My bernie needs to be serviced, but I just can't seem to part with it. So I just keep oiling it myself. But after Xmas, I swear I am taking it in!!

Anonymous said...

What lovely quilting and what beautiful colors. Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to get our Handi Quilter here at the shop where I work so I can practice some of these machine quilting motifs.

Anonymous said...

Your quilting is lovely and what gorgeous colours in that piece. I like your idea of adding mug rugs to the cups .... might have to do some of those myself. Will you fill the mugs with something? Itty bitty chocolates or perhaps a pkt of hot chocolate mix?

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love that peacock feather design too! Wish I could do that!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I'm working away on some Christmas presents too - those mug mats sure are cute!

Cheers!

Evelyn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails