Friday, October 27, 2006

Disjointed

I love my Bernina. I really do! This morning I can't seem to settle. I know it sounds crazy, but every time I think I want to do something, I realise I can't because it requires me to use my favourite sewing machine, or break my fabric diet!

First of all I thought I'd make up one of the bags toward the Xmas list, but then realised I'd need to quilt the pieces before assembly, and I don't think I can put my Featherweights through that. They piece like a dream, but I'm not sure about their quilting capability.

Then I started thinking about the Atlantic Jewel top I pieced not so long ago ... but of course, it needs quilting, so I'll wait on that one too.

Next, I thought I'd start putting the nine patches together, but realised I don't have the fabric for the setting triangles. I've only a few days more on the fabric diet, so don't want to break it. Hmmm ... I'll say it again ... disjointed. My friend Cheryl calls it the 'nadges'. When you just can't settle to something, you've got the nadges.

So, what I'll do is this ... I'm going to choose the 144 nine patches from the 190 odd that I have made up with Linda, and then I'll cut the setting squares. Linda sent me a lovely piece of fabric to use for the setting squares. I've put it there next to my pile of nine patches. It's really sweet, and will look great with the solid dark red fabric I have in mind for the setting triangles.

The nine patches that Linda made are the ones closest to the setting square fabric. The ones I made have some really old and ugly fabrics in them, it will be fun to use them up in a quilt. They even have some little pieces of fabrics I used in my first ever quilt. Those fabrics have been sitting in my stash for 14 years! Thank you so much to our wonderful friend Bonnie Hunter for giving us the inspiration to use up our stash!

8 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh I love those nine patches. Perfectly scrappy! What a grand idea you have. And, that fabric for the setting squares will look great with the nine patches and red for the setting triangles. I can't wait to see this one!

Cynthia said...

making nine patch blocks from those "uglies" is a great way to use them up. I did that awhile ago with the 16 patch blocks. At least they're not so noticeable when they're cut up into smaller pieces.

Susan said...

I know just how you feel. When my Viking goes in for a cleaning, I just miss it so much! Last time they even gave me a loaner as it was going to be 2 weeks, but it wasn't the same.

May Britt said...

I know the feeling not having the sewingmachine in the house. Never have I wanted to sew so much just that time it was away.
Why not try some handstitching!!!

Bonnie said...

The word "Nadges" is great for that feeling. I'm adding it to my vocabulary. Thanks.

Pam said...

What a great pile of nine patches you have. Can't wait to see your finished quilt. I know the feeling with the lack of sewing machine. I just had mine serviced and if there was any a time I wanted to sew something it was when my machine was gone.

Susan said...

Miss checking on someone for a few days and this is what happens......

Great space to sit and stitch. I also notice how shiny and clean your floors are.

The nine patch is going to be just great. I have some red fabric to use with mine if I ever get that far......... Thinking of blue and white nine patches........

Coffee cup idea is another winner. And you machine quilt too?

I agree with you on all that fabric. Seems a waste to me. I just want to make the quilts I already have fabric for................

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh look at those! I'm so glad I'm finally catching up! I've missed your posts so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails