Saturday, October 28, 2006

Collections & Nine patches

I started to lay out the nine-patches yesterday, just to see how they'd look with the background fabric. I managed to cut out all the setting squares, and I'm super happy with how they're all going to look together. Linda sent me over a piece of fabric she'd got last year at Carolea's in Sunnyvale. I was sad to hear that Carolea's closed recently. They had the best back porch where you could pick up some bargains. I went there when I was in the US, and I was able to get some great toile fabric for just over $3.00 US a yard.

See how easy it is for me to go off on a tangent ... I don't have much red in my stash, so for the setting triangles around the edges of the nine patches I'll get a red something from the quilt store after this month's fabric diet is done with. There's not too long to go!

Not much sewing going on in this house. I was due to go and collect my Bernie this morning, but when I called Otto told me that he just hadn't had an opportunity to look at it yet, and would I mind collecting it on Monday morning? You know, since I've had her, apart from holidays I don't think I've ever been away from her over a weekend! I'm going to have to put one of the featherweights in the sewing room. I have to sew on the weekend!

Yesterday Nancy asked about what people collect. I love her collection of cats. I collect blue and white china. Mainly Spode and Johnson Brothers, but if there is a piece that takes my fancy, I'll give that a good home too. This is the dresser that lives above our kitchen table. It's filled with the Blue Willow china I received when we were married, and the Spode Blue Italian set my Mum gave me one Christmas.

On the walls are my Spode Blue Room collection plates. I just love all of them, and even have a Blue Room clock.


This picture is looking from the kitchen table toward the hallway that leads to our bedroom and front door. I love the Spode Christmas plates, and you can see all the ones that I have! Gosh, it looks so dark in our bedroom? I must still have the curtains drawn.

I do collect other things, like old Singer sewing machines, but I don't have nearly so many of those. That may be something to share another day. Thank you for asking about our collections Nancy, who's going to be the next to share?

Ohh, I mustn't forget, a couple of people have asked me questions in comments, but without return mail addresses. I haven't forgotten about you, but I'll have to go thru and find your messages again to respond. Don't give up on me!

11 comments:

Hedgehog said...

I have a collection of red and white plate. Unfortunately they are in storage at the moment.

ForestJane said...

I like that zig-zaggy setting for your nine patches! It's going to look great.

All your plates... my boss collects plates, and she says her whole family teases her about buying plates that nobody can ever eat off of. :)

Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing your collection with us. :-) My Mom collected plates and had them hanging on the wall like yours. She also collected cup/saucers and Daddy built her a display cabinet for those.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Oh no, you still don't have you sewing machine back. At least you have back-up machines - I need to get one. Looks like great progress on your nine-patches.

Unknown said...

Tazzie! I am a blue and white collector too. Spode, Johnson Brothers, or no-name, I love it all.

Anonymous said...

That sure is going to be a pretty quilt! And I love your plates!

Hope you're having a great weekend - and you get your machine back soon.

Angie said...

Your quilt is going to be so pretty, Tazzie! :D And your plate collection is wonderful! Go ahead and pull out that Featherweight and use it this weekend. One must do what one must do! LOL YOur weekend won't be complete if you don't sew, 'sew' go ahead!! LOL

May Britt said...

What a beautiful collection of blue china. And your ninepatch is lovely. This is a nice setting for it. I also work on ninepatches (one of my ufo's) and I regret starting to handstitch them. My progress i so slow. But since I love ninepatch I think I have to make some by machine soon. Have a nice weekend.

MARCIE said...

Love your plate collection, and the wall cabinet is wonderful! Your Bernina is still at the shop? I would be breaking out in hives about now.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your 9patchs look great with that setting fabric! And look at all those plates! Goregous!

Mary Johnson said...

I like that zig zag setting for the nine patches. Can't wait to see the finished top.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails