Thursday, October 12, 2006

Quilt top & Fowlers jars

This morning I finally added the last border and mitred the corners. In the picture, my Winchester quilt is not pressed yet, so don't look too closely, but you can get the effect of the fabrics weaving along. This quilt was inspired by one of the parquetry floors at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. I don't know which room the floor was in, I had just taken a picture of a floor and thought it would make a nice quilt sometime. I will take this top to the quilt store sometime soon to help sell a selection of lovely reproduction fabrics that have come in recently.

Nines asked yesterday for a closer look at my Fowlers jars. This will probably be more information than she ever wanted to know *lol*! I've photographed one each of the different size jars I have. Along the back row from left to right are sizes 20, 31, 36 and 65. Sizes 20 and 31 are the only ones you can buy new now. Although I have heard rumours that size 14 has come back into production. Size 20 is about one pint, and size 31 is about one litre. The 36 and 65 are getting hard to find now, and are kind of huge! I'm reading from my old Fowlers book, and the 36 takes 3lbs, and the 65 takes 5lbs.

In the front are my size 10 and 27 jars. Size 10 is really cute and great for baby foods at 1/2lb. The size 27 is my particular favourite and holds 2lbs. I have sooooo many of these jars, you wouldn't believe it. You saw the picture of my shelf yesterday, well, the shelf above which you can't see is almost full too, and additionally, I have three cartons full in the attic.

The thing is, I have a lot of relatives that live in the country. So many of them in the past did preserving as a matter of their daily life, and so many of them don't do it anymore. When I first decided I'd give it a try, I talked to my Nanna about it, and she spread the word. Before I knew it people were sending me boxes of jars that they had no use for anymore. These people were friends, relatives, and people I'd never heard of before. Additionally, my Nanna's bestie runs the charity shop in the town they live in, so my Nanna would buy any that came thru the shop for me. Well, let me tell you, with my four very young fruit trees, I have more jars than I will ever need, and when I hear of anyone that can use them, I gladly give them some.

So, that is the story of my Fowlers jars ... thank you to Nines for asking!

Today Amy and I are off to quilt group. It's the last week of school holidays here, and because Amy is a budding quilter, the group are presenting her with a junior membership badge. We're going to start working together on a quilt I designed while we were away. Today we'll start tracing off the flowers onto vliesofix. Should be good fun. Have a great day everyone! x o x

11 comments:

Silverthimble said...

I just love your Winchester quilt! If I understand correctly, this is your design, right?

Jenni said...

I love that quilt! You finish things so quickly. I might have to have a better explanation about how you did that one day. As for the preserving - I've always been interested. But no thanks, I don't need any jars!

Hedgehog said...

Big congrats on the junior membership! Great that you can share that together! I made jam this summer (and froze some other things) for the first time since I was a little kid - great fun.

Melanie said...

I love the quilt, the borders are perfect. Have fun at quilt group...
Melanie

Gail said...

I like your quilt. I have several cartons of Mason jars in various sizes. I haven't done jelly in years, and would use 'jelly jars' for those. We do relishes and such from time to time. Mustard Pickle, Chili (not the mexican type chili, but more like a relish to use as a condiment with lamb or steak). I wish I had some of the oldfashioned type-just one or two as keepsakes. I've never heard of fowler though, and they look a bit different from Mason jars.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how fun to work on the quilt with Amy! And I LOVE your Fowlers jars! They are so fun! Heck they would be perfect just to use for decorating! What fun! Your quilt looks great too!

Melzie said...

Tazzie that quilt is Lovely you did a great job :) mel

Hedgehog said...

I have a million floor and ceiling photos, taken with quilts in mind! Yours is great!

Anonymous said...

We had loads of fruit trees when I was a child and I remember helping mum do the canning in her Fowler's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

By the way, the quilt is stunning.

Tonya Ricucci said...

that's great that your daughter gets a membership badge - hurray for her hard work. I'm guessing "bestie" is best friend - I like it. You did a great weaving job there with the quilt top. very cool.

Shelina said...

We have Mason jars around here - probably same concept. I gave so many away freecycling. The recipient was going to use it for soy candles. Our spaghetti sauce comes in glass bottles like that - so I keep accumulating more. I just can't throw them away, even though I don't have any use for them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails