Sunday, October 29, 2006

And I'm sewing ...

Here is the little featherweight baby I sometimes sew with. My other featherweight is always on display, and to be honest, I'm not sure if I've ever sewed with her. I feel sure when she first came home we must have checked her out, but apart from that, she's been in retirement here.

I had to think carefully about what I wanted to sew with my little feather-honey, as it had cream coloured cotton in the bobbin, and I have to get out the instruction manual every time I need to thread the needle or change a bobbin, so I wanted it to stay the same.

The first item I set to putting together was four placemats which will go towards my Mum's Christmas present. The braid was something I'd already pieced a long strip of, and these placemats were something I'd had a practice go at a couple of months ago. I can set them aside now for quilting. Bernie will be home tomorrow so I can get them machine quilted. We use the practice placemats every day on the kitchen table. I really like them!

Next I decided to make some more of the blue and cream 'diet' blocks. I was making these a little while back while counting WW. I'm counting points again, and I'll hopefully have a good result at the end of the week. Things are going okay so far. I made around 10 blocks, and also many half square triangles and four patches to make maybe 6 more. I've laid the blocks out on the cutting mat, but I don't necessarily know if this is the way I'll lay them out. I really like the way Bonnie laid hers out in more of a 'barn raising' style.

This block is for Nancy, I thought she'd like to see the kitty on there :-)
The cream fabric in the bottom half square triangle is from the first quilt I ever made, and so is the blue square in the top four patch. Who would ever have thought I'd have some of those fabrics still laying around! I love Bonnie's scrap patterns, I've said it so many times ... I just love her inspiration to get the old stuff out of the stash!

15 comments:

just jenn said...

Cute blocks!

Pam said...

I haven't had my FW out for months but will be taking it to quilt camp with me next wknd so need to get it out tomorrow and give it a good once over to be sure she is running nicely.

Your placemats are nice.

Jeanne said...

I like the way those blue blocks are looking!
Jeanne

Hedgehog said...

Looks like you've been very busy! Hope Bernie is back before you have to change the thread!

Nancy said...

It's good you have a backup machine so you didn't have to go a whole weekend without sewing!

I love the blue blocks but ESPECIALLY the kitty one! Thanks for sharing it just for me. :-)

Unknown said...

The blue quilt is looking great. I always have to check the manual when I change my FW bobbin too--everything is backwards from a Bernina. It's strange because I learned to sew on a Singer and you would think that the memory of that old machine would be in my bones.

Well, maybe it is but just not in my brain when I need it.

Eileen said...

That blue diet quilt is really great. I love the way it's coming together.
I've thought about it and I don't collect anything. Nada, zilch. Maybe that's a good thing;)
I love your posts, they're a bright spot in my days-especially when I get to read a bunch together as a catch-up.

Darlene said...

LOOK it my blue quilt - the one I'm going to sleep under when I come to visit you. :-) It's really looking good, Tazzie. I'm glad that you decided to pull your Featherweight out so you could sew a bit.

Anonymous said...

How special to see your braids - I have a couple of those fabrics too and have used a lot of the brown leaves and the blue leaves too. It is a small quilting world :-)
Your blue and cream blocks are lovely !
Hanne

Juliann in WA said...

you have been so productive - I love all the scrappy projects you have going
juliann

Susan said...

If you use the FW more often, you'll soon remember the threading and bobbin. I grew up sewing on one - which my sister got - so I can practically do it in the dark. I love sewing on mine. I have one at my best friend's house in CA (the white/green one) and one here (a black one). I *almost* bought a tan one at PIQF. Only budget held me back!

Susan said...

Oh, I meant to say I like the layout of the blue blocks. I like the way the two colors seem to float against each other.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the place mats are so cute! I remember now seeing the practice ones and thinking they were fun!

And your blue and cream blocks are so fun!

Anonymous said...

Your blue and cream blocks are coming out very nicely - I like the way you've set them out. Blue and cream go so well together.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your featherweight. I always enjoying coming across a picture of one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails