Monday, March 26, 2007

My oldest UFO

There has been some chatter lately among bloggers about their oldest UFO. I'm really quite sure I've shared this already, but here goes anyway. My oldest one irks me at times, but for the most part, it's like a repressed memory, and here it is:

It's sort of a Baltimore applique project. I started it in a class way back I suppose in around 1996 or so. I got the top all put together over the course of a couple of years, and started hand quilting it. After a couple of blocks were finished, I didn't like how the hand quilting was coming out, so I put the project aside.

Over years it would be pushed further and further aside, until it found it's way into a box. After we moved house, the box found it way into the attic, and there it has stayed. I have promised my best friend that should I ever finish the project, it will be hers. I don't think I could bear to have it around - even in a finished state.

My thoughts are that I'll pull out the hand quilting, and just machine it up. It does deserve to be finished, but I know I'll never be able to make myself continue with the hand quilting.
I'd really like to get this on the boil again and finish it this year, but I just don't know. Who knows what condition it's going to be in when I get it down ... after today I may just repress that memory a little longer ...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

my oldest ufo is about 5 years old. It's a BOM I was doing for my friend and his Fiancee. They've now split up so I told him he's not having it until he gets another Fiancee

love and hugs gina xxx

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty and it does deserve to be finished. I completely understand your sentiment of not wanting it around - I have had several projects like that! Maybe you could send this off to be machine quilted and then it would be done and you wouldn't have to look at it again!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Thats OK, my oldest ufo is in the quilting stages too, but I don't like the quilting and it is machine quilted... so even harder to pull it out - which I have to do!

Hanne said...

My vote is to pull out the hand quilting, machine quilt, bind and get it over with - and out of your house :-)

Piece of mind said...

Wow, I love that quilt, I think it is worth finishing it! I'm working on my first project, it's a sampler quilt. I hope my english does not sound too strange, I'm writing from Montreal, Quebec, my mother tongue is French.

You have wonderful quilts, and very nice front doors ;)

Have a great day!

Julie

Carole said...

Have you thought of keeping the hand quilting and doing the rest by machine? I'm one to do that all the time. I have a quilt that is hand quilted and machine quilted. I just refuse to hand quilt if it will not be seen. Then again, I may be breaking the law, so far the quilt police has not been to my house! ;o) Keep well and happy quilting!

Kairle Oaks said...

Why is it that some projects are almost painful to finish. I think it's really hard once you've "fallen out of love" with it.

Shirley said...

I also had one like that but nearly so pretty. It was half way quilted. I had my MIL pick it out then machine quilted it.

swooze said...

Can you find someone that handquilts and pay them to finish it up? It really is very pretty. Try setting a goal of an hour a week on it or something. Eventually it will be done.

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, wouldn't that quilt be gorgeous with hand quilting. Swooze has a good idea, what about hiring somebody to handquilt the rest of it? Lovely to have somebody else do it :-). It's such a beautiful quilt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails