Friday, July 21, 2006

Stash Enhancement & Sarah Johnson

Today I went for an on-line visit with my good friends at Hancocks of Paducah ... I have finally decided what I will do for my entry in this year's guild show. I will enter a miniature ... again ... I never feel like I'm going to have the time to enter a full size quilt. This year, I decided I'd like to try a miniature Baltimore style applique quilt. I purchased a couple of bali solids, because I really like the way they behave when needle-turning.

I also decided to grab a couple of the Old Sturbridge Village II fabrics they have out at approx $4.00 per yard. Lastly, I got the Miss Rosie quilt book ... another one I should have purchased while I was over there ... but I'll forgive myself :-) I will be able to use that book for lots of stash reduction exercises!

Back to the guild stuff ... 2001 was the first time I ever entered the guild show. I entered my Dear Jane quilt, and also my Sarah Johnson quilt. Imagine how staggered I was when my DJ won the prize for 'best first time entrant', and my SJ won the prize for 'best hand quilting'. OMG, I was super amazed. I have included the picture of my SJ here for you. 90% of the quilt was made with leftovers from my DJ. It's one of my favourite quilts I have ever made. In summer it lives on my bed, and in winter (because it's really not warm enough) it lives over the bannister in my lounge room.

Today Amy is off with friends learning how to Scrapbook, so I'm hoping to do some more painting. The wooden vertical is up in the kitchen, and I love it! Who else keeps stopping by to look at new things when you've done them ... I do!!

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

your SJ is beautiful and wow, winning twice in your first show... That's impressive.

Hanne said...

Your SJ quilt is beautiful :-) Can we see your DJ quilt too, please. Here is my DJ http://hannequilt.blogspot.com/2006/03/old-finishes-and-new-beginnings.html#links. It entered a show in 2005. We do not get any ribbons in our show. I can imagine it must be fun to have one. Only the competition is getting ribbons in our National show + viewer's favourite. Our local biannual show gives none.

Fiona said...

I am in awe - I can't imagine ever entering anything in any quilt show - perfection is not one of my strong traits (neither is patience, come to that, and I think you must have a lot of it to complete such intricate work). It's great to make another quilt with leftovers from the first one isn't it? Feels like you're getting something for nothing.

Gail said...

Now that is one impressive quilt!Nice job.

Linda C said...

Gorgeous quilt, Tazzie.

Good that the painting work is getting done even with the kids on holiday. My job was always to keep the youngest sibling entertained and out from underfoot while my parents and brothers did stuff like that. Consequently I didn't really learn how but we had a good time playing.

Anonymous said...

Your work is beautiful. I've been following your blog for a while for the great quilt pictures. I'm new to blogging so can you tell me what "LOL" and "VSB (or something like that)" means.

Cynthia said...

Your quilt is just beautiful and to think that most of it was made from leftover fabrics. Well Done.

Shelina said...

You do beautiful work, that deserves to win lots of prizes. I too would like to see your dear jane. I have blocks, but not a completed quilt. And the SJ is lovely - I have never heard of it, but it looks great.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Another stunning quilt - absolutely fabulous.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails