Friday, January 02, 2009

New Quilt for the New Year

Happy New Year! To all my buddies who've stopped by and said Hi, and to those who love to lurk, I wish you all good things in 2009. We saw in the new year at home with wonderful friends, more than a few drinks and nibbles and really good times. And for those of you wondering - no new outdoor setting (I've ordered the favourite one) and no-one minded our less than perfect furniture.

And the New Year deserves a new project, so here is a start. At the moment I'm calling it Purple Stars - but it definitely deserves a better name. I enjoyed putting the first block together, and now I'm finalising all the cutting before making up more.

This evening I'll be pinning a customer quilt, a project for quilting tomorrow, in addition to making up more jam. I picked a few kgs of apricots today, and there is still a lot more on the tree. This has been our best apricot season ever. Shari asked how we protect our fruit from birds - well, we do have our fair share of blackbird troubles, but we net our tree, and it helps a lot. If you look at the picture of the tree, you can see the netting. It's not a perfect solution, but it means that the birds must be more determined.

I'm looking forward to catching up on blogs, I've been busy for a couple of days, and it's amazing how the new entries build up.

25 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy New Year!

I love the purple quilt, it's fabulous :0)

mereth said...

That's a great block, I can hardly wait to see more of these made up.
I remember my jam making days, it's so satisfying to see all the jars in the pantry isn't it? Hope you get more fruit than the birds do!

Joyce said...

That's an unusual star and I really like it! All the best in the new year.

julia said...

Hi Tazzie,
happy new year {sorry, if that is the second one - I made my round through the blogs I read and I now don't know to whom I already said this ;o) - better twice than none!}
Although I have to admit that purple isn't my favourite colour I must say that I LOVE your new quilt layout. It's such a a beautiful bock! I haven't seen it yet...is it a traditional or did you design it yourself?
Cheers, Julia

loulee said...

Your Purple Stars look lovely Tazie.

you sell your jams and preserves?

Julie said...

That apricot jam looks yummy! I love your purple star so far.

Cherold said...

I LOVE this block! Can't wait to see the quilt unfold...:)

hugs,
Cheri

Melanie said...

Happy New Year--- It doesn't look too purple in the picture... reminds me of a midnite sky... Love the pattern, can't wait to see it all together.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oooh - that's a block I haven't seen anything like before. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

Ruthie said...

What a beautiful block!

Terry said...

Wow! That block is beautiful! I can't wait to see the completed quilt! Have fun with it! :0)

julieQ said...

Tazzie, all of your projects look wonderful, but I especially like this one. Very pretty. And the jam below looks scrumptious. Happy New Year!!

swooze said...

Wow I love it. Can't wait to see the final quilt.

Maggie A said...

Love the star. My first time at your site - and you sure have inspired me. Just want to sew and sew. You have some lovely quilts.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Happy New Year to you. That is a beautiful block - it is going to make a wonderful quilt. Does it have a name, or did you design it yourself?

Lindsay Jean said...

I love that quilt block! The points are so beautiful; you usually see points done differently than that (Tri Recs), but I really like your layout. Also, that dusky purple is gorgeous - ideal for pairing with a dusky green, perhaps?

Pam said...

Happy New Year!!

Great block pattern - love it!

I had this brief moment when I read your comment about the outdoor furniture of wondering what the heck you were doing sitting outside on New Years Eve!! LOL

Have a very wonderful 2009!!!
Pam

Days and colors said...

What a beautiful block! I saw your drawing before and I was waiting to see how it would turn out. I love the results!!!
Have a happy and creative New Year!

*karendianne. said...

So totally purplicious!

SubeeSews said...

I love that block. But what really drew me to it is the background fabric. I have a good sized piece of the same background. I am afraid to use it because I love it so much. Isn't it a Naturals & Neutrals line?
Subee XOXOXOXOXO

Lucy said...

What a beautiful block Tazzie!

GeeGee said...

Your sky rocket blocks are gorgeous in purple. That is one of my favorite blocks; I used it in my first sampler quilt about 25 years ago in blue and many times since in various colors. It always turn out beautiful, no matter the color.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the star block! And I love the photo of all the pieces cut out and ready to sew...my favorite part of quilting is seeing everything ready to start! Kind of like Jan. 1st of a brand new year!

Helen said...

This looks like a great block to use. It should make some interesting secondary patterns.

Jen said...

You always choose the most lovely projects!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails