I wanted a piecing project to dive right into once I finished the 'Purple Stars' top - and given that I'm seriously into cutting up my scraps, I thought a Log Cabin quilt that I'd envisioned would be the perfect thing.
Judy Martin is a wonder at piecing blocks that have other blocks inserted into them, and I thought I'd give it a try on a small scale. I'll have fun playing with the light and dark fabrics.
All blocks will have the same red print in the centre. I found the fat quarter in my stash and set about cutting up the 36 x 3 1/2" squares that I needed. I was only able to get 30 from the fq, but didn't worry too much, I just resolved to choose another 30's style print from my DJ box. I don't know if I had a psychic episode or something, but when I opened the box, there was another fat quarter of the exact same fabric in there. It had been a gift from Linda. I purchased my original fq in Paducah, I wonder if she had done the same. It was all a very happy accident.
I made up four blocks to see if I liked the pattern, and I do very much. What I don't like is that I wasn't careful enough with my seam allowance while making up the blocks, and the outside row is a little rumpled. I'm not going to pick the blocks apart however, I'll just let them be. I'm sure it'll all quilt out.
Yesterday I set about making up the other 32 blocks that I need, and I've made up all the blocks to the point where the last four rounds need to be attached. I'll need to make up eleventy-four half square triangles first. This is going to be the time consuming part. I've also paid better attention to my seams and these blocks are lovely and flat. I can't believe after all my years of quilting I can still sometimes err with silly things like seams!
These blocks have all been made up using the contents of my 2" scrap box. I'm thrilled to say that I can actually notice a visible reduction in the contents of the box. I did have to add some light fabric however, as I'd pillaged most of the lights for the green and cream leader and ender nine patches. (Ohh, and I have made up 51 nine patches so far!) I'll keep you posted with my progress :-)
Also, a big thank you to Shasta who has identified the purple block I was working on. I had no idea, and I'm thrilled to know it's called 'Dogtooth Violet'. I have found a similar free block pattern at Quilter's Cache - be sure to check it out. Thank you once again Shasta - I think I'll be renaming my quilt!