Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pointy!

Last night I was plugging away at the 'purple stars' points. The most time consuming part of this section of the block is the cutting - they're such funny shapes. But as I was cutting, I got this ominous feeling ... I was running very low on the background fabric.

I cut up all that I had, and got busy sewing ... and when I was done making up the points, I had exactly 50 point units. I need 100. Oops!

Rather than panic, I took it as a sign from the fabric gods that I was being too conservative with this quilt, I'm just going to be a little bit maverick and use something else. My blocks will still have symmetry after all, half the points will have one background fabric, and half will have the other one (when I decide which one it will be).

7 comments:

Joyce said...

The fabric gods have spoken. It will probably be even more interesting with more than one background.

loulee said...

No matter what you do, I'm sure it will look drop dead gorgeous.

Idaho Quilter said...

Makes perfect sense to me. Use what you have, that is how new quilt designs are made.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I had an instructor that called these "design opportunities" and stressed that running out of fabric is a good thing because it forces us to be inventive and to make our quilts more interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it looks like when finished!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Looking forward to seeing what other fabric you're going to select!

Kristie said...

I'm sure it will look beautiful! You are so very talented! Can't wait to see how they look!
Kristie

Anonymous said...

Happy accidents like that often make the quilt. It'll be great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails