Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Green Nine Patches

It's no secret to anyone that I'm a huge fan of our dear friend Bonnie. And as such, I'm a dedicated scrapper and have also recently started working with leaders and enders. I've always done chain piecing to save thread and thread ends - but to me leaders and enders are relatively new.

Here's what I've achieved to date - nine green and cream nine patches - the far basket has all the pieces cut and ready - and the close basket has the greens and the creams sewed in pairs. The squares are a 2" cut, and the nine patches will be 4.5" finished. It's really fun seeing these little units come together almost accidentally!

I'm thinking of going along on these until I have enough for a queen bed, and setting the blocks on point, maybe with a cheddar setting square. I've a feeling that alternate fabrics are a choice I'm not going to have to face for quite a while ...

10 comments:

Paula said...

Those blocks have a way of multiplying pretty quickly. I bet you have enough for a quilt real soon. It will be like a free quilt!!

Shari said...

I'm a big fan of Bonnie's as well. It's like a whole new perspective on stash and scraps. That's going to look pretty good and it will be sooner than you think that you will have enough!

Susan said...

I really don't understand why everyone doesn't have a Leader/Ender right there ready to sew. If nothing else think of the thread you save, not to mention the time it takes to clip off those annoying long threads........
I am working on a nine patch also. I have been working on it for a couple of years now.

http://suze-threadmill.blogspot.com/2009/01/just-little-progress.html

I am looking forward to seeing yours as you go.

loulee said...

Would somebody care to explain to me in words of not more than one syllable just exactly how leaders and endersworks please.

LOL The verification word is 'gladley'

YankeeQuilter said...

I finished a 4-patch baby quilt using the leaders and enders process...it seemed to take no time at all! I am currently cutting scraps to try and tame the stash a bit as I put fabric away...15 minutes a day of "slashing" and it is starting to make a difference.

my verif word is vickaya...sounds like a toast called out each time you finish a block...

Michele said...

I've been meaning to start leaders and enders myself. I just don't have my scraps quite that organized yed. It's a goal, that's for sure.

And I love the colours. Greens are definitely a fav of mine!

I'm feeling all motivated now. Thanks!

Hugs!

Dianne said...

That green and cream nine-patch is going to be wonderful, Tazzie. and I love the purple quilt from yesterday, too. You are SO productive!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

are leaders and enders are looking fabulous!!! Once I get my crumb quilt done, I will definitely be getting back into another scrap quilt! I just love them!

Yes I love Bonnie's work and ideas too!! She has some awesome pattern ideas on her site to use up those scraps!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

*karendianne. said...

Tazzie,

Love the setting idea with these colors. Fantastic!

Idaho Quilter said...

I agree about being a Bonnie Fan, and thanks to her using leaders and enders makes a bonus quilt in time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails