Sunday, January 28, 2007

Whip that stash!

Yesterday afternoon I decided to start working on the back for the Zig Zag Nine patch. I like to use Bonnie's 10.5" unfinished squares method for making up scrap backs. It sure does whip that stash into shape and uses up uglies that have found their way in there ... or things you've bought and just don't love anymore - for example that blue and yellow stripey piece. What was I thinking???

I'm just so lazy at times , and I thought rather than cut quite so many 10.5" squares, I'd also use multiples of 10 if I had large pieces of stash, so some of the pieces you see in the picture are 20 x 40", 10 x 40", 10 x 20" etc. Not so many seams for me to piece, still stashbusting, and still interesting to look at. Whip the stash ... whip it good!

After dinner last night, I really felt like doing some piecing, and I didn't know what I wanted to work on. I have a few new projects in my head I'd like to get started on, but I will need to do a little planning first. So I decided while watching TV to start putting a few of the blue and cream blocks together. I started by making pairs of blocks, then fours etc ...

The picture is as far as I got, there are still many rounds to go. It's nice to see the pattern forming. Even once I've assembled all the blocks I've made, I don't know that I'll add borders just yet, I may make up more blocks, these ones are fun. I have 100 so far, so let's see how big this quilt grows.

Shortly I will take Cam and Amy to the park so they can ride their bikes around. Cam can work off some of his energy so we can have a quiet afternoon. I really would like to watch the men's tennis final. Should be a ripper game.

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

18 comments:

Silverthimble said...

I love the idea of the pieced back! It almost seems like the quilt is "free" when the top and back can all be made from pieces of our stash doesn't it!

Mary Johnson said...

I really like the blue and cream quilt - it's coming together!

I'm not sure what my next piecing project is going to be so I think I'm going to make some more HeartString blocks to send to mail in for the group quilts while I think about it.

Susan said...

That is going to be such a wonderful quilt! I can see it coming together so beautifully.

I like your backs. I prefer fewer seams when I'm quilting something.

Hanne said...

Lazy is not a word that comes to mind when I think about you ;-)
Your pieced back looks good as do your blue and cream blocks.

Joyce said...

I love the top. It is a similar pattern to my burgundy one and I loved working on that one. I always seem to make borders. I used a piano key border on mine with plain ones on each side. I love the idea of a pieced background but I have never done it yet.

Gail said...

Look at how beautiful it is turning out!

Angie said...

Girl, you are just so AWESOME and INSPIRING!!! Sooooo, if I send you my snail mail addy will you bottle up and ship me some of your ENERGY and MOTIVATION????? LOL I LOVE those blue/cream blocks!
And piecing the backs like to to bust stash...got to remember to do that! :P

Shelina said...

I really like the blue and cream color combination. I was thinking with the Shakespeare in the Park quilt that I needed to add some darker blues, and some creamier creams, but looking at your photo, I think I need to add some lighter blues as well!

The Calico Cat said...

Tee Hee, I love that blue & yellow striped fabric!

ForestJane said...

What a good idea for the larger bits in with the 10½ blocks - sounds like my kind of backing!

Unknown said...

Great idea. Hadn't thought about using totally different sizes for the backing. That will definitely use up some stash. The blue and cream design is luscious!

Anonymous said...

I like your new quilt top, and the backing looks great too.

Samantha said...

Great job whipping that stash- I love the varied sizes of the blocks on the back!

Unknown said...

What a graet idea of a pieced back!
The blue and cream top is going to be gorgeous. Do you already know where you will put/place/store it when it is finished? (always MY problem!)

Saska said...

Isn't it amazing as to what we can get done if we just want to?

Love the 10-inch backing idea.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your blue and cream blocks look wonderful!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Weeeeeeeeeeeee! It looks so great! I love using up stash and kissing it good bye. Whether it's big pieces or even cut squares....it's just great to USE IT!

Bonnie

Cher said...

love how this quilt is coming out-secondary patterns are the best!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails