Monday, January 15, 2007

Cute hat!

This morning I finished the last stitches of the watermelon hat. I'm something of a novice knitter, and I am obviously someone who doesn't follow patterns to the letter, as my version bears little resemblance to the one that Yarn Harlot knitted. Having said that, I'm still thrilled with the result.

The original pattern had the 'seeds' stitched with a duplicate stitch. I had seen some socks with beading on the Yarn Harlot's blog, and thought it would be fun to do some beading, so prior to commencing with the pink wool, I threaded a whole pile of beads onto the wool and away I went with the knitting. The beads shouldn't be able to come off unless the hat is all unravelled. My MIL saw the hat earlier today and thinks it's mighty cute. She's a great knitter, so I feel like the hat has been given the seal of approval! A fun knit, and one that didn't take too long ... strike another of the list!

Here is our darling little (and still unnamed) kitty. Marty did a little research today on kitty's ginger status ... we had been told by two people that if it's ginger, it's a boy. After 'googling' it, we've discovered that ginger boy cats outnumber the girls 3 to 1. It's this whole chromosome thing ... so while we're happy for the kitty to be of either sex, we still kind of think it's a girl.

It's been a long time since Madaline was a kitty, and I'd forgotten how much time kittens can spend sleeping. This little fur-person goes from bouncing and bounding around the house to sleeping in what seems like a heartbeat. We've had no little accidents either ... this is one very civilised kitty. MIL is thinking she may get in touch with the friends we got her from and adopt one of the brothers or sisters. That would be so nice.

24 comments:

Carol E. said...

You are a novice knitter??? I've been knitting off and on for years and never made anything that cute! Super job! Your kitty is so adorable. Makes me almost want to go get one. But I'm enjoying the absence of cat hair after our daughter and her cat moved out. Your kitty reminds me of my brother, so I think you should name her Bruce. LOL.

Susan said...

That hat is cute as can be, and I like the beads. Other than that, I don't see a big difference in the two hats. Is this for you? I sent something similar for my granddaughter when she was a baby. I just think they are wonderful. Are you going to make more, now that you did one and it turned out so well?

The kitten is cute as can be. Babies of all species are cute, aren't they? Mammals, anyway.

Unknown said...

I didn't see the one knitted by Yarn Harlot but I love yours!

Judy L.

jodie said...

That hat is too cute, I love it. Wasn't it supposed to be 40 degrees in SA today? Great knitting weather.

Jodie

Carol said...

Your hat is so cute...I think the beads are great! Your kitten is just as sweet as it can be. I had no idea about the ginger. nature sure is amazing.
Carol

Nancy said...

Yes it's true that most ginger cats ARE male. I've had MANY male ginger cats over the years and only 1 female. And on the flip side it's even rarer to have a male calico that a female ginger. I've had even more calicos and torteaushells over the year and they have ALL been female.

Joyce said...

I love the hat and now I want to knit something with beads like that!

Doodlebug Gail said...

I don't know which one is cuter - the hat (great job and love the beading) or the little kitty!

Patti said...

Here I was all ready to type my comment and find that Gail said what I was going to say almost word for word! Great minds think alike, right? The cuteness of the hat is only eclipsed by the cuteness of the kitty. There - that's different from what Gail said but still gives the idea of what I was thinking LOL!

Quilts And Pieces said...

The hat is adorable! And little kitty is too! Can't wait to see what the name ends up being!

ForestJane said...

I think you ought to google 'cat names' next... lol And choose something that can be boy OR girl if you're still not sure.

I guess you could just take it to the vet and ask them if you need a spay or a neuter ... :D

What's his/her personality like?

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow - fast work on that hat and is it ever so cute! Be careful on not naming a cat - my Mom found a tiny, little, wild kitten in the woods one day and brought her home in her coat pocket... but we were going to try to find a "new" home for her so us kids never named her - and we ended up calling her Black Cat for 18 years, LOL!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Well, both your socks and now this little hat are wonderful - so give yourself more credit - you're a great knitter!

Mary Johnson said...

That's a very cute hat! I've knit several for myself to prepare for my move to MN but so far I'm not happy with how any of them *feel*. Maybe it's because I never wear hats but I have a couple more patterns I'm going to try.

tami said...

The hat is too cute. Great job, especially for a novice knitter.
We had a ginger cat who was a female when we were first married. Her name was Muffin. She was a one person cat, loved me, didn't particularly like my DH.

wendy harbaugh said...

very cute hat. I want to take classes in knitting so I will get better all I can make in that medium is scarfs.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Stunning hat and cute kitty, we added one to our family over Christmas and it has been great entertainment! Quilts all looking great as well, Tracey

Hanne said...

Don't know which is the cuter - the hat or the cat ;-) Kittens are adoring - and smell so good!

May Britt said...

It depends on the colours of the kittens mother and father if it becomes a red girl or a boy. You can red about it on this link:
http://www.messybeast.com/self-solid.htm or perhaps here: http://www.tenset.co.uk/catgen/catsofadifferentcolor.html
or just take a look. This link describes a girl and a boy LOL : http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/kitx.html

YankeeQuilter said...

I like the beads on the hat. Nice job. Kitty is adorable!
Sio

The Calico Cat said...

Aww that ginger boy (or girl) is still sooooo sweet! I did not know about the ginger & boys, but the same is true for calicoes - except that most of them are girls (Calico = white, black & orange).

Samantha said...

LOVE the hat. And the kitten. We used to have a ginger- a boy named Horton.

Anonymous said...

The socks and the hat are fantastic. You've inspired me to start looking for green yarn, pink yarn and black beads (I have white in the stash). The kitten is very cute too, it looks like a girl to me, your vet or the breeder should be able to tell you for sure what sex it is.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

We have had three male ginger cats and find them to be very, very nice animals. Mild disposition. Yours is a sweetie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails