Friday, January 26, 2007

USA Memories top done

I seem to get a lot of stitching done right now while watching/listening to the tennis. I was so surprised to watch the mens semi final last night between Federer and Roddick. I expected it to be a long and tough match, but it ended up being completely one sided.

But I digress ... during the game I made up a mug mat gift for Cam's old day care lady - Betty. We're going to visit her today while Amy is at a birthday party, and I thought it'd be nice to have a little treat for her.

Her home is in very traditional colours, so I chose a heritage green mug for her last time I was at the store, and made up a 5" log cabin block in green and browns from my Thimbleberries scrap box for the little mat.

I have made a few of these now, so I'll have to keep track of who I give them to.

After the mug mat, I was able to put two of the corner sections on the USA Memories quilt, and this morning I finished it up by putting the last two corners on.

I have no idea how I managed to have such a brain fade, but I cut both the setting triangles AND the corner triangles at the wrong size. I made the setting triangles too small, and the corners too large. Obviously I could cut the corner tri's down, but I had to cut the setting triangles anew ... and I really hated wasting those pieces of fabric. I've put them aside to trim down into the scrap boxes, I hope there's not too much waste. I just love the toile fabric. In fact, I don't think I've met a toile I didn't like! The toile came from Carolea's in Sunnyvale from her legendary back porch while I was in the US last year. Such a shame the store is closed now.

I've now completed all my goals for this month, which is unexpected! I think I will busy myself piecing a back from 10" squares for my Zig Zag Nine Patch so that I can quilt it next month. Other than that ... who knows ... it's like free play!

To all my Aussie friends ... Happy Australia Day - I hope you have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

Happy Australia Day to you!!! Hope the weather is lovely at your house like it is here.

Your USA Memories quilt is lovely. I wouldn't have thought to use a toile print. I don't even have any although i do like it. Perhaps i will have to check out some online stores and see if i can find some to buy.

I watched the Federer vs Roddick last night also. Was dissappointed as i was expecting a tough match. Cant wait to see the last few matches.

May Britt said...

It is really a nice gift those mug mats you are doing. I keep saying I have to make some mug mats myself. My kitcentable has ugly rings on it from hot tea mugs.
Your america quilt is lovely. Love the toile fabric you have used between the blocks.

Anonymous said...

Happy Australia Day to you! This is my second one away from Oz and I miss it. The American Memories quilt is beautiful, and I really like the toile fabric.

The Calico Cat said...

Love the layout on your American Memories quilt! Was that a pattern, or did you figure it out yourself?

Carol said...

Congrats on all your Jan goals! YIPPEE!

Anonymous said...

I like the layout of your USA memory quilt and specially the toile fabric.
Congratulations on having your January goals met!

Hanne said...

Your USA memory quilt looks lovely.

Unknown said...

I love the toile used for the setting blocks. I set some blocks in a quilt like that and was nervous about the toile at the time but it was exactly the right choice for mine. This one is going to be a beauty!

Darlene said...

Love your USA memory quilt - what a wonderful keepsake.

I'm working my way through the Stash Quilts Ring just leaving a little Hi.

Shelina said...

Congratulations on finishing your goals, so early in the month. Happy belated Australia Day. What is that?

Helen said...

That's a lovely quilt top you have made. Really interesting blocks. I have never used toile but it does make a nice background.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails