Sunday, September 16, 2007

Girly High Tea

This afternoon the girls from Hubby's side of the family got together for High Tea. We don't all manage to spend time together too often, so it was nice to be able to chatter and nibble, and do it in a very civilised way.

There were 5 of us, Amy, MIL, SIL, Aunt, and myself. We had four of of these plates on the table. Quite the snackfest. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate aplenty, lots of gossip and giggles, and the afternoon was quickly gone. We've already made plans for another next month - super fun!

Last night I was just not in the mood for any quilting, so I decided I'd finish off the last little bit of the second purple mitt. I won't worry about a picture, as it's exactly the same as the one you've seen earlier. The finish meant that I need something new on the needles for the found time in the car. I had planned for some time to try a pair of socks I'd seen in a magazine, it would require some learning for me, so should be fun right? See there my first attempt at a picot edge. I'm loving it, and can't wait to use it again. Also my first attempt at knitting a lacy pattern. It doesn't seem to look that much like the picture in the book - but the pattern is at least looking consistent. A good start.

But ... and there is often a 'but' with my knitting. In her book 'Knitting Rules', the Yarn Harlot talks a lot about knitting a swatch to test for tension. A trap for young players ... I didn't do one. I confidently thought ... I'm a tight knitter, if the socks come out too small, I'll give them to my Mum. I didn't count on them being too big. Big enough that I could probably fit my foot and Cameron's in there. It's okay, lesson learned. I'm going to rip them back and eventually start something different. I'm not sure I'm into the lacy pattern enough to endure two socks worth. Maybe it was karma - the sock wool Gods knew I couldn't hack it and were saving me from the dreaded 'second sock syndrome'. Or maybe a higher quilter was telling me to get back to the quilt ... who knows ... but whoever you are, keep talking, I'm listening!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girly high tea looks like fun :) and I like the start of that sock...

I like learning new things, the picot edge looks like something to try. I have that same book by the Yarn Harlot, but it never prepares you for how loose the socks get after you've worn them a few times...it is hard to figure out the perfect fit...or maybe I am missing something!!

YankeeQuilter said...

Love high tea...it looks wonderful! I can honestly say I have never had two socks come out the same size even when I've used the same needles and yarn! Is that the yarn-gods telling me to stick to quilting?!

Shelina said...

That tea looks like a lot of fun - lots of chatter, good food to eat, spending time with you. Your knitting is great - you could have used the large sock for holiday gifts! Your quilt looks so incredibly beautiful. You do such wonderful work.

Pam said...

First off - the Sisters Choice applique quilt is stunning!!

There is something special about an afternoon spent enjoying high tea. Did you do it at home or did you go out? The Empress Hotel in Victoria B.C. has a very fancy high tea (and expensive) It looks like you had some wonderful dainties :))

Holly said...

That high tea looks spectacular! I love how your table runner turned out and am enjoying watching the medallian quilt evolve. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

The Sister's Choice top is stunning and I like the border fabric, too. I think it will finish it off nicely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails