Thursday, September 20, 2007

Border found!

I did have a cell phone picture here a minute ago, but it was so bad I had to change it out. I just really wanted to share that I made a decision on the border fabric for the quilt. With the help of Cheryl and my Wednesday girls at the quilt store I settled on a border stripe, which is much less bold than the other fabric, and doesn't draw the eye immediately away from the applique. The binding will be in the purple fabric, so I'm much happier with the way the quilt is progressing now. I've only stitched one border in place so far. I had planned to attach it after spending the day at the quilt store, but I came home to a pattern order which is more important, so put that together instead. I'll get the border on, and hopefully get the backing fabric ready in the morning.

I got a lovely surprise at the quilt store yesterday. One of my students from my 'Faith of Friends' applique class from 2004 popped into the shop. She told me she had finished working on the project, and of course I was dying to see 'show and tell'. It was a somewhat scary class for me, it was only the second I had ever taught, and I learned that there was a guild member attending. Anyway, today we had another visit, and we were shown the results of her hard work.

I was just thrilled to see the quilt. It's completely hand appliqued and quilted, and the workmanship is just wonderful. This is one of my most special quilts, it was the first quilt I ever had published, and it featured on the cover of the Australian Patchwork and Quilting Diary in 2005. If you haven't seen it, here is a bit of a picture of my original quilt.

I better run, there is still a lot to do before bedtime. Have a great day! x o x

20 comments:

~Bren~ said...

The border fabric is PERFECT!! Your students show and tell is gorgeous! I LOVE it...it all just pops.

The Calico Cat said...

great border choice.

love you students version.

the original is just as nice as always too.

Hedgehog said...

Great border choice and your student's quilt (and your design) is gorgeous!

Lisa D. said...

I agree - the border fabric is perfect! Good choice!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is just wonderful! I hope the plan is for this quilt go go in AU P&Q? and your students quilt she brought for show and tell is wonderful! She did an awesome job!

Darlene said...

The border stripe is perfect!

Oh my goodness your student's quilt is awesome! I can imagine how excited you were when you saw it.

Rose Marie said...

The striped border adds a finishing touch to the charm of the quilt - good choice! I've had the Faith of Friends on my 'to do' list for many years now, long before your blog came about. It's nice to see another colour version and your student did a lovely job with hers.

Anonymous said...

Good border choice, love the pink quilt your student made. The pinks work well together.

Melanie said...

Perfect choice...

Unknown said...

Just right! Well done Tazzie

loulee said...

That border is spot on! :-)

What a pretty show applique.

Floss said...

I agree that boarder fabric is much better.
What a lovely quilt your student made.

Kim said...

I agree with everyone--your new border fabric is perfect! What a relief for you, I bet! And I love the applique quilt you shared--she did a truly lovely job!

May Britt said...

Perfect border. It's a beautiful quilt. Are you planning to have this a a pattern in the magazine???

Rose Johnston said...

Oh that border is perfect!!! (and i liked ur first choice lol) Love ur students quilt!!!

Unknown said...

Your border looks super--just perfect. And you must be one heck of a teacher to bring out such beauty from your students as shown in that second quilt. It's gorgeous.

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Tazzie! Love the striped border. The Show and Tell is wonderful, I know how pleased as the designer and teacher you were to see it!!

Helen said...

Wow! The show and tell quilt is absolutely stunning. Thought I recognized it too, I'm sure I brought that 2005 diary for my Mum!

Jeanne said...

An excellent choice for the border! I just love that quilt! Your student's quilt is gorgeous, too. She must have had a very good teacher to learn so well.

Patti said...

Hi Tazzie, Finally getting caught up with my reading. I've missed you! I see you are still creating beautiful quilts - no surprise there. I really like the border fabric - the subtle stripe is perfect. I can't wait to read backwards to learn more about this qiulot and see the rest of it LOL! The quilt your student made is spectacular! You are obviously a great teacher.

Looking forward to catching up with what you've been doing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails