Saturday, August 25, 2007

A start on the applique ...

Here's what I was working on yesterday. The beginnings of the centre applique block for my Sister's Choice medallion. I used one of those bias maker tools for the first ever time, and I have to say, I'm impressed! The bias strips I made are 1/4" wide. I got a great tip from a friend - use thin pieces of leftover fusible webb to attach the strips to the block, and then go crazy with your favourite applique technique. I'm sold!

Ohh, and pay no attention to the placement of the leaves - they're just where they fell as I cut them out ...

I actually became so consumed with the bias strips that I was almost late picking the kids up from school. I just 'lost time'. To park in the same postcode as the kids schools I have to leave home almost 30 minutes before school gets out. I knit in the car for a little, then amble over to Cam's classroom, and then we head back to the car and wait a further 20 minutes for Amy to appear. It will be so much easier when they're in the same school next year. Yesterday I was only 10 minutes late leaving, and I was very lucky to get a park. Whew!

Before starting the applique, I finished up the last of the Sister's Choice blocks - I needed a total of 16, and I also started cutting out the applique pieces for one of the borders. I really hope I have enough of the fabrics I'm working with - I'll see how I go.

On the netball front, Amy's school team had a big win last night 37 - 7, and this morning her club team had an amazing win, against a team that had beaten them soundly on two previous occasions. I don't remember the score but the margin was around 10 points. I'm one very proud parent. The balance of this weekend will contain more Flyladying in the study, and as much quilting as I can pack in. I'm lovin' it!

7 comments:

Gail said...

oh please, you make me feel so guilty- I have so much cleaning to do and absolutely no desire to do it!

Darlene said...

Love the applique medallion center.

Vicky said...

Your medallion is going to be gorgeous in that quilt! Your colors are luscious! Can't wait to see it all together! Fabulous job!

Mary Johnson said...

Oh Tazzie, I feel for you, my sister has to pick up her two at different schools everyday and she works nights! I was lucky that my boys rode the bus.

Unknown said...

I really love the colours in this one - that dull purple plays so nicely with the beiges and soft green - gorgeous! And there's nothing so pretty as a lovely applique centre for a medallion quilt

Rose Johnston said...

I have the same "pick up" dilemnas at school.......i get sooooo excited when u start a new quilt and im loving this one already!!!!

Susan said...

Love the center applique piece. I love that you got lost in it, too. That's a good design! Are you anxious to see it all together? I am! Congratulations to Amy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails