Sunday, August 19, 2007

Reorganising

Patti really started something with the reorganisation of her sewing room. Hanne has been hard at work too, and yesterday I let some moths out of my purse and purchased two closets for my sewing room.

I've never really had a good sort out in my stash before, and I'm now realising that I have some 'stash issues'. It will become painfully clear when I explain a few things ...

On the top of the closet are some of my scrap boxes - they won't stay there, they're just giving me some room to work in, and the ones in the closet most likely won't stay there either. There are two large blue tubs in front of the closet - they're full of fat quarters and unsorted scraps.

The top shelf in the closet is my Thimbleberries yardage and the white for my DJ and some osnaburg. Yes - that's all of my Thimbleberries yardage!?! But the worst of it is yet to come .... the second shelf is ALL my other yardage! All of it! I really thought I had a lot more - this is a worrying sign.

I actually thought I had a LOT of fabric, but it turns out it's actually mostly fat quarters, skinny quarters and smaller. Which leads me to my question - does anyone have tips for a good way to fold fat and skinny quarters neatly for in the closet? Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm clearly needing some stash enhancement, I will struggle to find borders/sashes and any other coordinates in this lot. This is really unexpected! It's also looking like I'll be scrap quilting for a good long while - there is a lot of small stuff to get thru!

I still have a whole other closet to use, and some of my books and magazines are going in that one too. We're having a big room re-shuffle and clean out - it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the sewing room/study is the most cluttered (and most used) room in the house. Gosh, I'm worn out thinking about it ... makes me really appreciate how hard Patti worked in her sewing room!

21 comments:

~Bren~ said...

Organized is good! Flylady would be so proud! I love your new sewingmachine mat and the bear in the garden topper is darling. I am restraining myself!!!

Gypsy Quilter said...

A new closet is always such a fun adventure. So many possibilities. Have you considered placing fat quarters in small plastic containers to separate colors and make it easy to find them?

jodie said...

Patti has really started something hasn't she! What a good reason to 'have' to do some stash enhancement! Especially if there is room on the shelf! Works for me!
Jodie

mereth said...

Your new cupboard looks positively deprived, you'd better build up those stacks of fabric. Can't have spaces on those shelves!
I'd probably get small tubs(I used to use 10 litre ones) for the fat quarters instead of stacking them, it's much easier to take them to the cutting table and rummege through, and they nest on top of each other.

Silverthimble said...

It looks like you have caught the re-organizing bug! Fortunately, this little bug is a good one and not at all like the flu bug! *VBG*

May Britt said...

Don't you have more fabric girl LOL Go shopping!!!
But you know when fabric is put together in a dark closet it always multiplies very fast.
But then, why do clothes put away in a dark closet shrink????

Tonya Ricucci said...

At 18 dollars a meter I can see why it's hard to build up a stash, especially when you've been sewing so much and using it up!

Pam said...

It's hard to believe that is all the fabric you have as you are such a prolific quilter. You must use it all up to quickly!!

With fat quarters I just try to fold them all the same way, I don't know if there is a "best" way to fold them. Have fun with the new closet :))

Fiona said...

Remove that fabric diet button from your sidebar this instant, young lady, you're seriously underweight already! (LOL) Just shows how effective you've been in using up your stash.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Nothing clears your head like an organized sewing room, well done!Tracey

Joyce said...

Everyone seems to be re-organizing lately. I found when I sorted my fabric that I don't have enough blue. I am also collecting black and white so I need more of that too. Of course that problem is easily remedied when we live so close to a great quilt store in USA (Faye's Henhouse in ND). Now to convince my DH that we need a weekend down there again.

Toni said...

Hi, do you have the book CREATING YOUR PERFECT QUILTING SPACE..in there it tell you how to fold fabric using a ruler...it says to use the ruler to fold the fabric all the same...i used a 3inch ruler and folded my fat quarters in 3 and then folded them in 3 again so they were all the same...Hope this helps...You better get shopping girl you fabric diet has worked way to good...LOL...Have fun picking out some new fabrics....Toni

Helen in the UK said...

Congrats on your organisation. I think the key is keeping all the FQs folded the same - do whatever works for the size of your shelve, but be consistent. You may be lacking yardage, but sounds like you have a scrap quilters heaven :)

Robin said...

Most of my stash is FQ and I love that for the variety! I fold mine around my 6" ruler as many times as it will wrap and then fold to about 12" (the depth of my shelves) in the other direction. I stack them by color on my shelves and this way, I have a nice folded edge showing. That makes it easy to find exactly the tone or print that I'm looking for.

Susan said...

Your organization looks terrific, and what a lovely surprise to find you need *more* fabric! I'd definitely say those TBs need beefing up!

Jenni said...

See? This is the bad thing that happens to people when they go on fabric diets and insist on making quilts from stash. I've always said it isn't healthy, and now we have the proof! 2 new cupboards and nothing to put in them... so sad. I'm all for as much stash enhancement as possible,and if something is used, something should take its place. That's my policy, and I'm sticking to it. Glad you have seen the error of your ways Tazzie. Happy shopping.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Every now and then I try to organize, but then it all ends up in a big pile shortly after!

Kim said...

I think you have to be the first quilter I've ever heard of who doesn't have enough fabric to fill up a closet! You NEED to do some serious shopping, Tazzie! LOL! Gee, I'm almost feeling sorry for you!

Kairle Oaks said...

I also found out that I didn't have as much fabric as I though once I got it folded. You can see part of what I got folded on my July 24th post.

I got a good start on my organizing, but need to get back to it. I think I've suffering from not knowing how to fold those smaller pieces, too.

Keep at it...things are looking great!

Passionate Quilter said...

I've been on a re-organizing binge too--but have saved the fabric closet for last--because I fear I'll have the opposite problem of you! Well, I know I do, I just don't want to admit it! LOL Your closet looks great! And a little stash enhancement wouldn't hurt you ;)

Patti said...

Really makes me chuckle to think that I started a stash organizing frenzy in blogville LOL! Your stash - such as it is - looks beautifully organized. I'll say one thing, however - you sure don't need a stash diet! It looks like your stash is close to starving! I hereby give you permission to do a LOT more stash enhancement! Makes the comment I made on the post after this one look silly - if I can justify buying now and then you should be able to justify buying every other day!

But for all your lack of stash you certainly create wonderful quilts from it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails