Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sewin' like mad!

Monday was the Queen's Birthday public holiday here (I understand it actually bears no resemblance to her actual birthday, but we celebrate it anyway) and I was able to get a lot of sewing done!

First up, I quilted up the log cabin blocks I made the other day and bound them. I've put them in my shop, as I had a request for some more. There are two sets of four, the same as in the picture. We'll see how they go. I'm enjoying having some little projects, they use up the scraps of fabric I keep accumulating and also the scraps of batt I just can't bear to throw out.

Next up I added the half and quarter blocks to the Starstruck quilt top to complete the border. I love how this quilt has come along. Today if I get the chance I'm going to find a backing fabric and get ready for quilting. I plan to hand quilt this one, and with a black perle cotton. It will be fun to do something with the quilting. I haven't hand quilted a project in a little while, so I'm looking forward to getting to that part of it.

And here is a close up of one of the half blocks that has the different background fabric. It's not very different at all, and from a distance you can't really see it at all. Not that Maverick, but I'm growing from the person who would have rushed out and spent ages looking for the same exact fabric. I decided I would rather have a little something different in my quilt and extra quilting time.

And last up for today, this morning my friend Wendy came over for a little stitching time. Since she is piecing her Dear Jane, I thought I'd piece a couple of blocks along with her. I haven't picked up my DJ in months and months, so it was fun to revisit it. On the left is J11 - Twin Sister, and on the right is M13 - Lynette's Diamond. They are both applique blocks, and I still had the templates from last time I made the quilt, so it was easy to get organised to put them together.

Tomorrow is a day at the quilt store, I'm looking forward to seeing what all the girls have been working on.

16 comments:

Fiona said...

The Starstruck quilt is coming along beautifully - and I really had to look to see any difference at all in the background fabrics.

Hedgehog said...

I love the zigzag created around the outside of the quilt!

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG....are you sure this is the same quilt as the previous post????? no just joking...it looks so different with the half blocks around the edge......... also the coasters look good and good to see you are getting requests.....you are so busy........

Unknown said...

The different reds give this quilt a lot of dimension and depth. Terrific!

Rose Johnston said...

Its just gorgeous tazzie and so glad ur getting requests for the Etsy shop, i just love those coasters....if i could just quilt like that!!!!

Teodo said...

ciao
the Starstruck quilt is wonderful.
It reminds me of the Cathedral's floor in Florence.
Very very nice.
ciao ciao

Quilts And Pieces said...

WOW - do those half and quarter blocks really add to the quilt! Wow, I've just never seen it before and after like that - amazing!

Kim West said...

Starstruck is looking great!! You were so productive!!

Unknown said...

I love the way you've arranged the border blocks to make the zig-zaggy border

Laurie Ann said...

Starstruck is really fantastic. I like the half blocks along the border. And the variety of reds is just perfect. Good job!

Kairle Oaks said...

I had the exact thought that chookyblue had...the quilt takes on a completely different look with the zigzag border. It really brings your quilt to life! Beautiful job, Tazzie!

~Bren~ said...

Your starstruck top is incredible. It looks like a great hand quilting project! It is amazing what those 1/2 blocks do to create the illusion of a border. Very fun! Bren

Kim said...

Ditto! Everyone has already said exactly what I was thinking--love the Starstruck Quilt, Tazzie!

Ms. Jan said...

Wow~~The Starstruck border takes into a whole new dimension--just fantastic!!

Susan said...

It appears that you are still on a roll.......... Whew. Glad I am not trying to keep up.....

atet said...

Starstruck is amazing! I love all the reds together -- I may need to think about a red quilt of my own soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails