Monday, June 04, 2007

Scrap Trees

These are the tree blocks the girls at the quilt store and I are making up for Maureen's birthday quilt. I love the way they look. I'm going to make up a further four blocks so I can put together the table runner I drew up last month. I've already foundation pieced all the trunk sections, I just need to make up a whole lot more HST's. I've been using some thangles that I've had sitting around for a while, I showed the girls at class how to use them. Normally I'd just use my Easy Angle ruler, but I thought this time I should practice what I've been preaching :-)

I'm just so thrilled that I started following Bonnie's Scrap Users System. Throwing these trees together with scraps was a breeze with all the 2 1/2" strips pre-cut. Back in the old days I'd have had to rummage through the scraps and trim them to size and ... well, you know the drill. Scrap quilting is so much easier now, and I'm actually seeing something of a reduction in my scraps!

And here is another set of placemats I made yesterday. These ones are about one inch smaller all around, and I used a different fabric for the binding.

I'm almost out of the length of braid that I made up, so if I want to make up some more placemats, I'll have to make up some more braid. Not a problem with all the Thimbleberries fabric I have on hand - I just need to piece at a faster rate than the Thimbleberries scraps reproduce.

That's it from me ... I have a lot of work to get through today, so it's 'nose to the grindstone' for me! Have a great one! x o x

15 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

The pine trees look wonderful. My beginners group love thangles...particularly the 1-1/2 inch ones!

Vicki W said...

Love those pine tree blocks - I'm getting ready to start a project with some mini pine tree blocks. We'll see if that's going to work! LOL!

Carole said...

Wow, you've been productive! The tree blocks look lovely! I'll have to check out Bonnie's scrap system. I avoid looking in my bin, opening the lid just enough to throw something in there! Yea, I know the routine! Nice placements! They work well with your coasters! Thanks for sharing!

Elaine Adair said...

Lovely trees. Your colors are wonderful.

Ms. Jan said...

You're almost as busy as Bonnie herself! Nice trees!

dot said...

You have been so busy and productive. I love seeing what you are up to. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

And is that a bit of TB plaid I see in your trees, too? I always chuckle when you talk about using up your TB and having it reproduce--I don't think I could use mine up in a million years! LOL! Love the trees and these placemats are just as nice as the first set--are you going to put them in your Etsy shop?

Anonymous said...

Good grief! you are like Bonnie - so fast at piecing!!! Love the placemats and the tree blocks are spiffy. I'm looking forward to using up my strips now that they are cut. Still got about 6 garbage bags to cut into squares and bricks though - I don't think I'll ever get through them!

atet said...

With all the rave reviews I think I may have to try out that scrap system. I have a ton of scraps that need to be used or need to disappear!

Love your tree blocks and the placemats. What fun!

Patti said...

Oh my, you have been a busy little bee in addition to a social butterfly! It may not seem like much progress to you, but there are lots of new things for us to see. The coasters are great - I predict they sell well. And the tree blocks are MARVELOUS! Of course, I always love everything you do, so that's no surprise. What a wonderful gift for you class friend. Sounds like you are having fun; I know how hard it can be when one has no time to sew.

Anonymous said...

Love the placemats, you have been really productive lately! Nice to hear that you are seeing a reduction in your scraps. I've been thinking about organising mine like that, but I keep saying I don't have enough yet, so they are all crammed in zip lock bags. You've given me something to think about.

Angie said...

Your placemats are wonderful, Tazzie, and your coasters...and your trees...and...LOL You really are so good at this, girlfriend, and so very fast! Makes one a bit envious! :D I love the coasters you made, too!! :) Those colors just so luscious to me, the purples and golds, so rich. :)

Helen in the UK said...

Tree blocks look great. Glad to hear that Bonnie's system is helping you use the scraps. Although I think you're right - they do seem to breed quicker than a person can stitch!!

Vicky said...

I've come back a dozen times to look at your trees! I love them!

Jeanne said...

Love your pine trees and the placemats. Your colors are right up my alley.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails