Friday, June 15, 2007

Eye Candy

A few girls have asked me to post pictures of my Dear Jane quilt. I know I've posted a pic before, but it was quite a while ago, and I'm just too darned lazy to look for it. So, for your viewing pleasure *lol*, here is my DJ quilt in all her glory :-)

The quilt was started sometime in 1997, and I put the final quilting stitches into it in 2000. I was something of a beginner quilter when I first started it, I had been quilting for a little while, but had not explored many different techniques. I think if I had more experience, I may have been too scared to take it on.

My wonderful friend Linda and I collaborated on this quilt, we exchanged some blocks, and she sent me so many wonderful fabrics, I really could not have made it if it weren't for her.

The quilt has lots of different background fabrics, and not all the coloured fabrics are reproduction style fabrics, there are a few oddballs in there too. After the quilt was completed, I entered it into our guild show in 2001. I was lucky enough to win 'Best First Time Entrant' and my prize was a Horn Cutting Table. Apart from my sewing machine, that table is one of the most used items in my sewing room.

So, that's my Dear Jane. She was a labour of love, and it was around six years before I could work up the courage to start another. Even then, Linda asked me if I was outta my mind. Yes ... I think I am! :-)

19 comments:

Hanne said...

Thanks for sharing, Tazzie :-)
It is always nice to see a DJ quilt.

Cathi said...

Hey, it is a finished DJ...cool! Thanks for the encouragement about getting mine quilted for next year. Wow...winning a cutting table because of it, how cool is that! Are the scallops hard to do, they are scaring me, cuz I know that is next after the quilting!

I don't think I would have started mine either if I had thought longer about it, hadn't done any applique or curved piecing, or hand quilting before starting mine...eek

Beautiful!!

Gail said...

I've started two different versions of DJ. Seeing this makes me want to pull one out and work on it--almost, maybe as soon as I finishe piecing all the 'Christmas gift quilts' for this year...maybe .....

McIrish Annie said...

I can't imagine getting ONE DJ quilt done, never mind TWO! It is lovely.

tami said...

WOW. That is a beautiful quilt. I can't believe you are going to make another one. I would be so proud if I finished just one. :-D

Darlene said...

You could show that quilt over and over and I'd fall in love with it everytime. It's fabulous, Tazzie.

I think I have a Dear Jane quilt in me but I have yet to start one. Someday!

Little Penpen said...

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll have to admire DJ's of others, as I DON'T think I have one in me.

Andrea said...

That is stunning ! On my blog I have a picture and the story behind my first DJ quilt - I have started number 2 and this one will get finished some day !! I had a change of heart on DJ number 1. Making these little blocks is addictive !

Chookyblue...... said...

Yes I did ask and thanks for sharing a pic of this quilt.........very nice.......they are big quilts finished....thanks

Carole said...

Very nice! So you're actually making another one! Well, it won't be the first time I hear that. How far are you into the second one? That is a heck of a lot of work! Beats my 2,112 piece quilt! Keep well!

Pam said...

Pretty amazing for "something of a beginner quilt" Gives me hope that I will one day finish mine :)) I have been busy this week working on blocks. Yours looks fantastic!!! Thanks for showing it again.

Jenni said...

What an achievement Tazzie. She looks great.

Teodo said...

Thanks this Dear Jane is MERAVIGLIOSO.
ciao ciao

CONNIE W said...

Your quilt is wondeful and it's inspiring me to begin my journey...I have the necessary supplies...now I'm waiting for the nerve! Great job!

Hedgehog said...

Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing!

Shelina said...

Your DJ is gorgeous Tazzie. I started making mine with the same background, but will be branching out with other backgrounds. I like the look better when it is even more scrappy. I still haven't worked on mine for a year or so, but think about it often, especially when people like you keep reminding me!

Jeanne said...

It's gorgeous. I enjoy every time I get to see a DJ quilt! One of these days, mine will be done.

The Calico Cat said...

I think if I had more experience, I may have been too scared to take it on.

That sounds about right, I have a quilt that fits into that category too.

It is lovely, thanks for sharing & congrats on the prize.

Unknown said...

So fabulous. Are you on the DJ lists? I have a couple friends who are very involved DJers, who have done DJ trips and own all sorts of DJ accessories. It's craziness, but beautiful craziness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails